MLB Implements 60 Game Season

weams

I hate the extra inning rule, both from the standpoint of design (Oh good, we have Mike Trout leading off the te... oh right, he's getting walked) and as someone who enjoys free/weird baseball. I also don't really see the need for it this year if rosters are expanded and every team has extra pitchers. I hope this goes away after the season, but I'm pessimistic because it seems the powers that be have wanted this for a while.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I hate the extra inning rule, both from the standpoint of design (Oh good, we have Mike Trout leading off the te... oh right, he's getting walked) and as someone who enjoys free/weird baseball. I also don't really see the need for it this year if rosters are expanded and every team has extra pitchers. I hope this goes away after the season, but I'm pessimistic because it seems the powers that be have wanted this for a while.

I don't know I like the rule.  I don't see the point of 18 inning games.  Destroys your pitching staff and people get bored.   I would add in a tie after 10 innings.  

14 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I absolutely loathe the free runner on second rule. Kill it with fire.

19 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

In the long term certainly. But then so are high cholesterol, being overweight, having a bad diet, not getting enough exercise, etc. etc. 

Damn.  Add in alcoholic and I'd swear you're looking in my family room window!  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or, perhaps, a general uneasiness about a paradigm where these four players could exist:

Player #1: had a big year in his age 30 walk year, was signed to a $23M, 8-year deal, is now an unproductive 34-year-old making $23M, living in a 12,000 square foot mansion with a butler and a Ferrari

Player #2: had a very similar year to #1's walk year, but in a pre-arb season and is making $650k

Player #3: had an MVP season in AAA but won't be called up because of service time issues and is making $45k a year

Player #4: was signed for $20k out of the DR, is now a good prospect, and is in low-A pulling down $12k a year and sleeps on the futon of a host family

It may not be a great setup when four players of fairly similar ability have a 2000x spread in salary.  In my job I've been there almost 30 years, run an organization of several hundred people with a budget of almost $100M, and have a salary about 2.5 times what a entry-level employee straight out of college makes, and just 50% more than someone with five years of experience. 

I have no problem with players making what they can get, but the setup that exists now bizarrely makes the case that David Price (1.8 WAR) is worth 55 times as much as Lucas Golito (5.7 WAR).  It's not a free market, and it needs to be changed.

This is all well and good, but the post I quoted clearly seemed to be agitated that people were being paying large sums of money to play sports in general. The post showed no signs of lobbying for redrafting the CBA in order to make the pay scale more “fair” to players as a whole.

I think I heard the schedule is coming Thursday or Friday and that may be needed first, but have their been reports yet on TV?

I know we're having games, but is it 100% MASN will produce daily broadcasts, etc.  Is Gary on the team plane, or will this be a job opportunity bonanza for younger announcers at less general risk?

10 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I think I heard the schedule is coming Thursday or Friday and that may be needed first, but have their been reports yet on TV?

I know we're having games, but is it 100% MASN will produce daily broadcasts, etc.  Is Gary on the team plane, or will this be a job opportunity bonanza for younger announcers at less general risk?

I hope so on both accounts! There's not really any point if all the games aren't on TV. I could live without Gary but... it'll be a shame.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I hope so on both accounts! There's not really any point if all the games aren't on TV. I could live without Gary but... it'll be a shame.

I doubt 74 year old Jim Palmer coming off a serious medical issue is going to want to travel much.  I hope he does all the home games and I guess games in DC and Philly could be driven to easily enough.

23 hours ago, Number5 said:

I don't recall about Maddux, but I know Harvey Haddix did.  Lost in the 12th or 13th inning, IIRC.

Found it - he pitched 12 perfect innings and lost in the 13th.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/harvey-haddix-threw-12-perfect-innings-and-lost/c-126504134

That was also the game where Joe Adcock hit the ball over the fence in the 13th to break up the no-hitter, but passed Hank Aaron on the bases and only got credit for a double.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:56 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

I absolutely loathe the free runner on second rule. Kill it with fire.

I love it and hope its carried over into future seasons.   In a 162 game there are far too many 10+ inning games that are completely meaningless, nobody is watching, and the players are just getting tired.  Tradition!!  Who cares.  Id rather have meaningful baseball with fewer long 1-1 ties than continue down the path of purging viewers and fans because games take forever and you ran out of pitchers 3 hours ago.  Id even be fine with ties (gasp!).  

• Upvote 1