MASN broadcast overhaul - Palmer, Thorne, others out

MurphDogg

11 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

You KNOW fellas at home could do it better? Doubt that’ll work out as well as you’re suggesting. It’s a lot harder than just talking. 

It’s hard for guys who don’t have the skills, but these guys do have the skills and they are still terrible. The people who make the hiring decisions are idiots.

You don’t want someone with a monotonic voice, and you don’t want someone who doesn’t talk in an engaging way.

Kevin Brown is unlistenable. He doesn’t seem interested, he doesn’t say anything interesting and he doesn’t say it in an interesting way and he doesn’t have an interesting voice.

The only upshot of this is getting to hear Ben some more. 

Look, everything about this year is a Dumpster fire. Not just this baseball year, but 2020 as a whole. There isn’t much bad news that really surprises me at this point, so when we hear next month that Kjerstad has quit baseball to dedicate his life to engineering a more potent form of glysophate, I doubt I’ll even blink. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is most likely covid related, especially because Dan Connolly tweeted Palmer and others may join some broadcasts via zoom. It sucks but those guys are all high risk. 

I have the feeling Palmer's earned the right to go on broadcasting for as long as he wants in Baltimore, so I doubt this is him being let go. 

He’s earned the right because of his longevity, but mostly because he’s the best announcer we’ve ever had. 

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s hard for guys who don’t have the skills, but these guys do have the skills and they are still terrible. The people who make the hiring decisions are idiots.

You don’t want someone with a monotonic voice, and you don’t want someone who doesn’t talk in an engaging way.

Kevin Brown is unlistenable. He doesn’t seem interested, he doesn’t say anything interesting and he doesn’t say it in an interesting way and he doesn’t have an interesting voice.

They should get Weasel from WHFS.  He has an interesting voice.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We’ve been blessed with a lot of great announcers.    For my money, Jon Miller was the best.    But for a TV color guy, Palmer is top-notch.    He’s perfectly suited for that role.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

They should get Weasel from WHFS.  He has an interesting voice.

Voices need to be distinctive. I like Steve Milewski’s voice, and yes at least interesting to listen to.

There’s a lot of acting involved in radio work, because you’re not just reliving the play, You are accentuating the emotion of the moment. Steve does that pretty well, Gary does it brilliantly, Joe Angel did it very well, Brown doesn’t do it at all. Siri Is more involved.

What you say is also extremely important. How many different ways can you describe “the pitch” how many different ways can you say, “the pitcher is now throwing to home plate”

I came up with seven or eight different ways just in the span of a few seconds, and then I thought about modulating my voice while using the same words to create another set of possibilities.

Brown doesn’t change how he describes things at all.  It’s like he’s deliberately trying to be boring.A good radio announcer can make even the most repeated motion interesting. 

How many different ways can you describe a routine pop up. Even if the act itself is probably the most boring thing in baseball aside from a foul ball, it’s possible to make it interesting just by the way you use your voice. Melewski does that pretty well, Brown doesn’t do any of that.

I don’t usually watch on TV, so the TV guys don’t bother me too much. The radio broadcasters for the Orioles are awful. I do not know what the hiring parameters were, but the result was mostly a collection of guys who damage the game experience.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, just listening to @Can_of_corn drone on about living the high life is riveting.

It's all relative, isn't it? Compared to discussions of games that are pretty much over in the early innings, that stuff's not bad. I also enjoy, up to a point, the running commentary on Mike Bordick.

If I had better judgment or just a little willpower, I wouldn't have been watching those games at all after the Orioles fell behind by half a dozen runs in the early innings. My performance in shutting off the games over the last couple of years has been pretty poor. I hope to do better this year.

That reminds me: when they let the fans' representative in on the CBA negotiations, that rep should ask that MLB adopt a mercy rule. :disco:

10 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

The only upshot of this is getting to hear Ben some more. 

Look, everything about this year is a Dumpster fire. Not just this baseball year, but 2020 as a whole. There isn’t much bad news that really surprises me at this point, so when we hear next month that Kjerstad has quit baseball to dedicate his life to engineering a more potent form of glysophate, I doubt I’ll even blink. 

Kjerstad is working on high quality H2O

• Haha 1

I enjoy Thorne and Palmer, but we recently cut the cord so I wasn't going to see/hear them anyway.  Still, broadcasts won't be the same without them.  I particularly enjoy Palmer, because he has the stroke to not pull any punches and not fear reprisal from ownership or executive management.  Glad to see Garceau back calling play by play, I've missed him since the Ravens transitioned to Gerry Sandusky.

Maybe one of these days MASN will get it's head out of it's figurative rear end and offer a streaming package.  My money must not interest them, though.