Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

As an Orioles fan, this would rule.  

But following your logic and being a little more fair to the Marlins, what if they played their home games at Georgia Tech?  That would put them within a few miles of the Braves and make trips easy for teams flying into Atlanta.  Maybe the Rays could take one of our minor league stadiums, or else another large college team in the Atlanta area?  

Yeah, no. It makes zero sense. Georgia is having a spike in cases. Hell, even in Ohio where Indians and Reds are.. there is a spike. I had friends say why not have the Blue Jays play at Columbus Clippers stadium in Columbus. Then I had to remind them 1 out of 8 tests for Covid-19 in Franklin County is positive. Its 2 times national average and 2 times the rate of Cleveland and Cincy.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

The thing I'm looking for is how the Marlins would, in theory, replace the players who tested positive. I think all 12 were on the active roster, but I'm not certain. If so, you could replace 3 with taxi squad guys, and pray that you have 9 (!) on your 40-man roster in the 60-player pool who roughly match the positions you lost. 

Unless I'm incorrect somewhere, that doesn't seem likely at all. 

Taxi squad is just for road trips, don't confuse the issue with that.

They have a bunch of guys at their minor league camp just like we do.   Up to 30.   (We only have 20 at the moment, no idea exactly how many Miami has).   Those guys(the 60 man pool minus the guys in the majors) form the "minor league system" you are allowed to draw from for the season.   So they could put 12 guys on the IL and call 12 guys up from the minor league camp.   Just ilke in a regular season, if for some reason you wanted to call up 12 guys, they'd have to go on the 40 man roster first if they weren't and guys would have to be DFAd or whatever to make room for them.   So it's technically feasible, but difficult due to 40 man roster, service time issues, etc., as others have pointed out.

The "taxi squad" is just taking 3 guys from the minor league camp and having them go on a road trip with you in case you get an injury/COVID, want to DL someone, and want to bring someone up to your roster.   Because the goal is travelling as a team on a team charter; in a non-Covid year with no taxi squad, if Severino got hurt Saturday, Norfolk's catcher would find his way to get to Boston via commercial air, maybe changing planes in an airport, etc.   On his own (I mean the travelling secretary would probably arrange the flight, but he'd be using regular commercial flights, etc).   So the taxi squad is just bringing extra g uys on road trips (who are part of your 60 man pool) in case you need to make a move DURING the road trip and you don't want your replacement to have to travel commercial to get to your location.   So taxi squad doesn't really apply to the Marlins because they were coming home anyway.   They have 20-30 minor leaguers in a camp somewhere near Miami just like we do, that they can promote if they want to put them on the roster.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Yes.

Adam Silver is the best commissioner in sports, and it's not even remotely close. 

I resent that.   I'm a commissioner of a fantasy football league and I think I do a damn good job.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Ok a little history. Coronaviruses have been around for a fair amount of time. The most recent were 2002-2003 SARS. Then 2009-2010 H1N1. So why the panic now? This one has a far lower fatality rate. And if you don't believe me look it up yourself.

Because lots of old people already had antibodies for h1n1, and because SARS did not spread very much. 

33 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Well like those Congresspeople you dissed earlier in your non-political commentary, you are getting noisy bro.  ?

Good heavens, since when has slamming congressmen been political? That’s just a standard choice for similes that deal with incompetence. One of my favorite similes is “they are as [insert chosen adjective] as a congressional committee.”

That’s not politics, because it’s non-partisan.

And because the comment is non-partisan, everyone laughs, and no one disagrees, because that committee is full of “the other guys.”

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

So which is it, are you willfully ignorant or you just get off on trying to rile people up? 

If it is in the same family of flu viruses it's the flu. Not trying to do anything. Read a bit.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Hey, I have an idea.   Miami is desperate for bodies.   That Garret Cooper guy that is sick plays first base, doesn't he?

What if we waive Chris Davis and see if they claim his contract?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

If it is in the same family of flu viruses it's the flu. Not trying to do anything. Read a bit.

I'm very aware, just like you're very aware that generalizing it as "just the flu" is meant to trivialize the severity of the situation. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think that an assumption is being made that the Covid caused the myocarditis, which is imprudent without some kind of proof. I’m not saying there is no connection, but We shouldn’t have the suggestion without the quote from the Doctor and the medical evidence supporting the claim.

It is "usually caused by a viral infection".   (Source:  Mayo Clinic Web Site)

There have been cases recorded where Covid-19 has caused it.   (Source:  NIH).   Article mentions that it is caused by both the virus and the immune system's reponse to it.   Article cites an early study that said that up to 7% of the deaths from C-19 may have included myocarditis, although it cautions there are several flaws in the methodology of that study (some flaws would make the true # go up, some would make it go down).

He just was positive for Covid-19 earlier this month, and had symptom , and now he has it.

Does that guarantee that it caused it?    No, but it seems pretty darn likely.  

• Thanks 1