vs. YANKEES, 7/30

OFFNY

56 minutes ago, Chuck A said:

18 in a row is mental.  They don't think they can win at that point.  Jobu needs a bucket of chicken.

I agree with this.  I like the UNC-Clemson comparison, but keeping it in the MLB world, the Twins-Yankees matchups are very similar.  Across the last 18 seasons, the Twins have played the Yankees 123 times in the regular season and gone 35-87 (a .287 winning percentage).  Against everyone else in the majors over that same 18 year stretch: 1439-1356 (a .515 winning percentage).  In the postseason, they are 2-16 against them.  Perhaps the most unbelievable stat.....in the years where the Twins were an above .500 team: 19-53 against NY (.264), 974-737 against everyone else (.569).  So when the Twins were legitimately good....they actually were worse against the Yankees than they were when they were bad.  And these sample sizes are really significant.  So while our futility against NY is borderline ridiculous, it is nothing compared to the mental hex that NY has over the Twinkies. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Why? It's fair to say this team will be horrid this year and most likely next. That will be three years of being the worse team in baseball under Elias. I'm not saying what he's doing is wrong, I'm just saying it's fair to ask how long will it take to have a decent team when Elias is willing to trade away anyone tradeable who gets even a little bit expensive in order to tank.

I agree with the way you're presenting (or maybe more accurately the way I'm reading what you're saying) here. It's a fair question, I just happen to think we're very much still in the part of being bad that we signed up for.