Elias trades

Roll Tide

Did want to go on a rant in the trade thread for Bleier. But Elias has traded 2 capable pitchers in a week for the obligatory PTBNL.

Pretty disappointing for me....Velazquez was a veteran guy who had a rough season last year. It seems to me that a good rebound this year might of produced a worthwhile prospect.

In regards to Bleier, he has two more season of control and looked good so far this season. I think his value would’ve been way more later in the season as the deadline neared. 

I get that it’s possible we still get some value out of these guys. But I’m disappointed that all Elias seems to be able to get in an announced trade is extremely young international prospects or the PTNL. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well, you look at who is doing well on the team right now and most of them were international prospects at one time.

Un related .... Elias didn’t trade for those guys. He traded for a couple of 17 year old kids that are far from the majors.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Did want to go on a rant in the trade thread for Bleier. But Elias has traded 2 capable pitchers in a week for the obligatory PTBNL.

Pretty disappointing for me....Velazquez was a veteran guy who had a rough season last year. It seems to me that a good rebound this year might of produced a worthwhile prospect.

In regards to Bleier, he has two more season of control and looked good so far this season. I think his value would’ve been way more later in the season as the deadline neared. 

I get that it’s possible we still get some value out of these guys. But I’m disappointed that all Elias seems to be able to get in an announced trade is extremely young international prospects or the PTNL. 

Connelly made a note that one of the reasons for a PTBNL maybe a loophole to get players not in another teams 60 man pool. Currently you can only trade for players in the 60 man pool, which are essentially borderline MLers and/or top prospects. Neither of the pitchers the O’s traded were gonna get that in return. I’m not expecting much back for either, but I’ll wait to pass judgment. This is a little different than a traditional PTBNL. And neither of them were gonna be on a competitive O’s team regardless. 

• Upvote 4

The Marlins aren't really in any position to send any players back now. They need to field a team when play starts for them. 

When the COVID-positive players start coming back, they will have an excess of players (Bleier plus their waiver claims). The O's either get the PTBNL then or it will be a lower level prospect  (not on the 60) after the season. 

Hard for me to criticize the deal without knowing what's coming back.

Just now, Babypowder said:

Richard Bleier is not a valuable piece. He’s a mid 30s reliever who doesn’t miss bats. We were never getting anything of consequence. 

You never know who will be “of consequence.”    We got Hanser Alberto for Susac.   I’d say he’s “of consequence” even though he’s a flawed player.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You never know who will be “of consequence.”    We got Hanser Alberto for Susac.   I’d say he’s “of consequence” even though he’s a flawed player.   

True, I mean someone who seems consequential at the time of the move. So, a relatively well regarded prospect and not a PTBNL. Richard Bleier is exactly the kind of guy who gets moved for a PTBNL.

Just now, Babypowder said:

True, I mean someone who seems consequential at the time of the move. So, a relatively well regarded prospect and not a PTBNL. Richard Bleier is exactly the kind of guy who gets moved for a PTBNL.

Yeah, I agree there.    Maybe we get another potential relief arm who has good velocity.