Holaday added to roster

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wonder what this means for Sisco and/or Severino...

They are both in the lineup tonight. I would like to see Sisco start against all righthanders.

I don't think Holaday has the bat to be even a backup catcher but he would be an upgrade as a late-imning defensive replacement and allow the starter to be pinch hit or pinch run for. 

That is a luxury that a 30-man roster could potentially afford 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They are both in the lineup tonight. I would like to see Sisco start against all righthanders.

I don't think Holaday has the bat to be even a backup catcher but he would be an upgrade as a late-imning defensive replacement and allow the starter to be pinch hit or pinch run for. 

That is a luxury that a 30-man roster could potentially afford 

Yea, that always becomes the issue with pinch hitting or running for the catcher. Typically don’t want second guy to have to come in to catch unless needed. You’re 100% right. 

Adding Holoday allows the Orioles to get Sisco more at bats at DH to see if his bat plays at the major league level because his bats needs to be a real asset due to his defensive liabilities. Of course you can say the same thing about Severino a bit too. 

When the team has to cut down to 28, it will be interesting to see if they keep three catchers, especially since they still have a redundant outfielder in Dwight Smith Jr. and a reliever like Even Phillips still on the roster.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Adding Holoday allows the Orioles to get Sisco more at bats at DH to see if his bat plays at the major league level because his bats needs to be a real asset due to his defensive liabilities. Of course you can say the same thing about Severino a bit too. 

When the team has to cut down to 28, it will be interesting to see if they keep three catchers, especially since they still have a redundant outfielder in Dwight Smith Jr. and a reliever like Even Phillips still on the roster.

That cutdown to 28 was scheduled for this coming Friday, right?   Is it still on?   I heard some talk that due to what's happened with Marlins, Cardinals, etc., they might just keep it at 30 for a while.

Dwight has been getting a good bit of playing time the last few games.   He might be ahead of DJ on the depth chart right now?

Kind of a weird callup.    Holaday is out of options.   So he has to go through waivers to send him down at a time were teams are trying to keep players because they don't know who will be lost to the team for Covid.

That gives them 4 catchers on the 40 man roster.   That seems to be a lot.  Wynns could have been called up tomorrow after he has been in Bowie for 10 days.

Does this mean that Elias/Hyde are unhappy with their catchers game calling?   Does it mean they are unhappy with Severino's defense and think he will be better as a DH?    Which is what he is tonight.   Is the next step optioning Sisco?   

I think there is more going on here then adding a 3rd catcher so they can pinch run.

I can’t imagine any serious thought about Severino being a DH.

Holaday is good defensively. Sisco is not. I bet @Tony-OH is right: they want to give Sisco ABs and still have two catchers.

regarding the Roster, Manfred today spouted some useless claptrap about “...not being a quitter“ so he is intending apparently to continue the season no matter what. 
so I think the roster rules will be changed to increase team flexibility.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Things now make more sense.

Every once in a while you will have a post that I am honestly not sure whether it's straightforward or sarcastic/snarky.

This is one of them.

Serious:  you are saying you understand that they want to keep him in the organization for the rest of the season as injury depth.

Sarcastic:  you are laughing at the fact that we would actually care whether he lost a guy like him.

I read your five words and I can go either way.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Dan Connolly reports that Holoday had an opt-out if he wasn't brought up by some point.

That tells why he was called up, but doesn't explain what they will do going forward.  Will they stay with 3 catchers.  Or option Sisco?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Every once in a while you will have a post that I am honestly not sure whether it's straightforward or sarcastic/snarky.

This is one of them.

Serious:  you are saying you understand that they want to keep him in the organization for the rest of the season as injury depth.

Sarcastic:  you are laughing at the fact that we would actually care whether he lost a guy like him.

I read your five words and I can go either way.

The former, although I can see your confusion since in a non-pandemic scenario it would have been the latter.