It's time for the OH to turn the page

wildcard

4 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I don't see them spending this off-season even if success continues this year.

Gonna see what they have with the young guys the next couple years and reassess imo.

Certainly can see that but they can do both.

Problem is, the Angelos family still runs things, so I don’t trust them to do the right or smart thing.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Certainly can see that but they can do both.

Problem is, the Angelos family still runs things, so I don’t trust them to do the right or smart thing.

I would wait to spend on pitching until our position player core is more established. Introduce the Akin, Baumann, Lowther and Kremer types before Hall and Grod get here. I don’t see them dealing Cobb this year.  

Elias will need to find a Charlie Morton type to help out when we are truly ready.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would wait to spend on pitching until our position player core is more established. Introduce the Akin, Baumann, Lowther and Kremer types before Hall and Grod get here. I don’t see them dealing Cobb this year.  

Elias will need to find a Charlie Morton type to help out when we are truly ready.  

The thing is, is there going to be someone that you can get and can fill your needs in that FA class?  You might have to sign a guy a year early.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes because how this “season” ended up being ruined a lot of those plans.

I don’t think that follows. Even after the Tampa series, even NOW, there’s no indication that this team, overall, has been anything other than lucky, And there is no logical reason to keep a guy down on the farm if he is ready for at least an audition in the Bigs.
Akin Is here but has not played, so his service clock is ticking, which is a head scratcher. Kremer, Lowther Baumann(?) Would all be more desirable than Hess, at least. We whine constantly about Mountcastle’s absence, and so on. Stewart is terrible, but he should have a legitimate audition, and 18 at bats is not a legitimate audition.

The only thing I can think of is that Mike is attempting to showcase guys who may have a little bit of trade value, so he can trade them instead of just sending them down or designating them.

But it has not been shown that Mike is changing his plan because of unexpected success.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why wait?  Rebuilding teams who feel they are close make these signings a lot.

Plus, with Stroman not pitching this year, maybe you can get a pitcher of his caliber a little cheaper than normal.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think that follows. Even after the Tampa series, even NOW, there’s no indication that this team, overall, has been anything other than lucky, And there is no logical reason to keep a guy down on the farm if he is ready for at least an audition in the Bigs.
Akin Is here but has not played, so his service clock is ticking, which is a head scratcher. Kremer, Lowther Baumann(?) Would all be more desirable than Hess, at least. We whine constantly about Mountcastle’s absence, and so on. Stewart is terrible, but he should have a legitimate audition, and 18 at bats is not a legitimate audition.

The only thing I can think of is that Mike is attempting to showcase guys who may have a little bit of trade value, so he can trade them instead of just sending them down or designating them.

But it has not been shown that Mike is changing his plan because of unexpected success.

Of course it follows because all of those names you mentioned would have 2-4 months of pro baseball time.  More development, more batters faced, etc..

I agree that they should be up now but there is no comparison between what is happening and what would have happened in a normal year.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Why wait?  Rebuilding teams who feel they are close make these signings a lot.

Plus, with Stroman not pitching this year, maybe you can get a pitcher of his caliber a little cheaper than normal.

I don’t think they are close for one. We both know they are limited financially.  

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing is, is there going to be someone that you can get and can fill your needs in that FA class?  You might have to sign a guy a year early.

That is the one argument. If the deal works. 

I think we are looking at 2023 before we can truly contend. Maybe in 22 but a ton would have to go right. That said sometimes teams get better earlier than expected  

Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t think they are close for one. We both know they are limited financially.  

I think we are looking at 2023 before we can truly contend. Maybe in 22 but a ton would have to go right. That said sometimes teams get better earlier than expected  

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I don't think they are going to make a real offer to Stroman.  I'm just stating that depending on how the market shakes out sometimes you have to go a year early.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They spent 130-160M on payroll for many of those mid 2010 seasons.

They are around $6 on their payroll now.  They have plenty of money to spend.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I don't think they are going to make a real offer to Stroman.  I'm just stating that depending on how the market shakes out sometimes you have to go a year early.

I completely get what you are saying here. Not disagreeing. 

I think another big thing to watch is the next CBA. Considering the revenue loss this year the odds of expanded playoffs are better. That would impact decisions as well. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course it follows because all of those names you mentioned would have 2-4 months of pro baseball time.  More development, more batters faced, etc..

I agree that they should be up now but there is no comparison between what is happening and what would have happened in a normal year.

Can you clarify? Are you saying that in a normal year they’d be up now because they’d have started the year at Norfolk and would already have 40-50 AAA games under their belt?

As opposed to Nothing, or whatever clearance sale frenzy is going on in Bowie?

I may have misunderstood you but I wouldn’t have mentioned the guys if they weren’t ready now, without needing any more time. Certainly Akin is already here but he hasn’t played, Mountcastle should be here, and Kremer and Lowther should arguably be here. Certainly Hess isn’t blocking anyone, and I’d rather have any of them than Carroll or Phillips.

I don’t see any danger to bringing a guy up if he’s ready.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They spent 130-160M on payroll for many of those mid 2010 seasons.

They are around $6 on their payroll now.  They have plenty of money to spend.

Their father never spent on pitching. He did with position players. 

Considering what is going on in the world right now I expect some conservative owners. Who knows about league wide attendance revenue the next handful of years. 

Now once again a Stroman type will not be a Cole like deal. I get that. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That said sometimes teams get better earlier than expected

Remember, true progress is transformative. If the progress is genuine, “earlier than expected” is exactly what happens, because something clicks and that something affects for a long while, the entire organization.

its easier in basketball, where one guy(of five starters out of 12 on the team)frequently transforms an organization, and I don’t think one single guy(of 9 out of 25)can accomplish the same in baseball, so in Baseball the transformation is more organizational and takes a bit longer, but sure it should happen earlier than planned. Genuine contention should happen NLT ‘22.

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Their father never spent on pitching. He did with position players. 

Considering what is going on in the world right now I expect some conservative owners. Who knows about league wide attendance revenue the next handful of years. 

Now once again a Stroman type will not be a Cole like deal. I get that. 

He spent on Cobb and Ubaldo.

While Stroman will get more than them, he won’t get a 6+ year deal for 25+M a year either.

They certainly may not spend..but it’s not because of limited funds.