Ty Blach released, player pool at 59

MurphDogg

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm wondering why he was released, as opposed to being placed on the 45-day DL.  Same difference as far as the roster limits are concerned, right?  Am I misunderstanding something?

I believe you are correct. I guess they figured someone with his skill set, age and now injury wasn’t worth keeping around next year so they went ahead and decided that now.  

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I believe you are correct. I guess they figured someone with his skill set, age and now injury wasn’t worth keeping around next year so they went ahead and decided that now.  

Blach was on a minor league contract.  By releasing him they no longer have to pay him a minor league salary.  If he was put on the 45 man minor league IL he would continue to be paid a minor league salary. However, by releasing him they lose control on him.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Blach was on a minor league contract.  By releasing him they no longer have to pay him a minor league salary.  If he was put on the 45 man minor league IL he would continue to be paid a minor league salary. However, by releasing him they lose control on him.

It was obviously not a money move and 45 day only applies to folks on the 40 roster from what I can see. 

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He wasn't on the 40-man roster. The 45-day IL is for players on the 40-man roster.

I don't think there is a minor league IL this season because there isn't a minor league season.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

He wasn't on the 40-man roster. The 45-day IL is for players on the 40-man roster. 

I was thinking he was on the 40-man with a DL designation so he didn’t count. This season has me all screwed up. Need to check up on it more. 

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't think there is a minor league IL this season because there isn't a minor league season.

Yes. You are correct. The only way to retain him would have been to add him the 40 then 60 day him until the end of the season, where he would have taken up a slot all winter.

26 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Just for example, this tweet would indicate that there is an active minor league disabled list.

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just for example, this tweet would indicate that there is an active minor league disabled list.

Good to know. Not sure whether the Orioles save the $400 a week or not. Regardless getting the extra slot on the player pool was likely the motivating factor as they are paying all of their minor leaguers $400 a week, not just those in the player pool.

I think in order to release an injured player, they must come to a settlement, I am almost positive they are on the hook for his TJ recovery.