Mychal Givens Traded to the Colorado Rockies for Three

weams

27 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Where is everyone? I haven't been here in a few weeks and see a statement saying the site is being shut down but see some new posts.

All is well. Site is now Totally Non-Political with no leeway. That goes for all posters including myself. 

• Upvote 1

This seems to be a nice return on Givens without knowing the player to be named later.  These two guys look like real nice prospects.   It adds a pretty good middle infield prospect which was needed and just reading what Elias says a AAA level 1B in Nevin.  

From Fangraphs review of the Rockies top 30:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-31-prospects-colorado-rockies/

6. Terrin Vavra, 2B 
Drafted: 3rd Round, 2018 from Minnesota (COL)
Age 22.6 Height 6′ 0″ Weight 190 Bat / Thr L / R FV 45
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
35/55 40/45 35/45 50/50 50/55 50/50

Vavra had a statistical breakout during his junior year at Minnesota — .386/.455/.614 with 10 homers, and everything way up from his sophomore year — and ended up going on the high end of the third to fifth round range where teams were considering him. He’s a patient hitter with an athletic swing who gets the most out of his slight build without often compromising his feel for contact. His swing is kind of grooved, but Vavra is a pitch selection savant, adept at picking out pitches he can drive until he has to expand with two strikes. We think he’s going to hit, have doubles power, and reach base at an above-average clip. That could play every day at shortstop, but we think Vavra is much more likely to end up at second base, where his range could make him an above-average defender. There’s not enough power for an impact regular here, but the athleticism and feel for contact should make Vavra either a low-end regular on the middle infield or a valuable, multi-positional role player.

15. Tyler Nevin, 1B 
Drafted: 1st Round, 2015 from Poway HS (CA) (COL)
Age 22.5 Height 6′ 4″ Weight 200 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
50/55 50/55 40/45 35/35 40/45 50/50

The list of current first baseman with premium contact skills but middling game power is full of players hovering around replacement level. Overripe Albert Pujolsand Daniel Murphy, last year’s Joey Votto. This seems to be Nevin’s fate. We’ve seen him hit oppo homers but it comes from quality, barreled contact rather than raw strength and power. He tracks pitches beautifully and can make quality contact with pitches all over the zone, but it’s very tough for a righty-hitting first baseman without big power to profile. Nevin’s reps at third base have dwindled, and he played a few games in left field last summer. He’s on the 40-man and looks like a corner bench bat.

Have to see how these guys pan out.  Colorado has two 1B prospects rated ahead of Nevin - so I usually figure that the acquiring team picked up a better player than deserved, but because there were two others ahead of him the selling team agreed.  Baseball America had Nevin at 10 and Vavra at 14.  Seems a pretty decent haul before the PTBNL.

• Thanks 1

Nevin is a bat first/ defensive liability where ever he plays 1B, 3B, LF.  1st rounder.  Dad a major leaguer.  There is some upside there.  He is on the 40 man roster.  Will go to Bowie camp.  Elias  projects him as Norfolk's 1B next season.

Vavra is the better prospect of the two.  Projects as starting 2B.  Plays some SS.  Will go to Bowie camp.  Not on the 40 man roster.   Would project as Frederick 2B but O's have Adam Hall and Grenier.  Have to wait to see how they are placed.

21 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I don’t see any downside to this deal. Good luck to Givens in the future (although there can’t be many pitchers excited to hear they’re going to Colorado).

I agree and he throws plenty of gopher balls here so it could be a tough place for him.

MLB trade deadline: Starling Marte to Yankees? Orioles dump Mychal Givens; Brewers’ Josh Hader in play; Clubs in on Mike Clevinger (UPDATED)

Interesting title from pinstripe land. Sour grapes?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/08/mlb-trade-deadline-angels-dylan-bundy-lance-lynn-rumors-flying-will-yankees-make-move-red-sox-shopping-stars.html

• Upvote 1

It was a solid haul for Givens.  The PTBNL could be a young, lottery ticket, ala the Cashner deal too.  We just don’t know yet.

That being said, you only had one more year of Givens.  Elias said this was the best offer he got for him since he has been the GM.  I believe him, even if the service time is less.  He hadn’t pitched well since Elias got here but he has pitched well in a SSS this year. 

Elias has said Nevin will start at first in Norfolk next year.  I would say my only issue with the trade is that Nevin appears to be another 1st/DH/COer and we have a lot of those.

Vavra has a legit shot at being the starting second baseman long term.  Good defensively, good hit tool and knows the strike zone.  Can he develop anymore power?  That will probably be the difference between him being a UTI player or a starter.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Looks like a good return.  Fangraphs will have them about 12 and 17 in the Os system plus the PTBNL.

Yep, Seems like a good return. Nevin apparently has some raw power that may significantly improve his prospect potential If the development team can help him tap into it. 

• Upvote 1