They are doing something right at that alternate site at Bowie

ofan239

With the exception of maybe mason Williams just about everyone that has been reassigned at the alternate site at Bowie and then brought back up to Baltimore has improved their performance 

Cedric Mullins , DJ Stewart have been noticeably better . And those that made their major league debuts - Mountcastle , Akin , and now Kramer looked ready to contribute when they were called up. I know it’s a small sample size but I feel like now when those that guys are called to contribute they are able to and that the pitchers have somewhat of plan of what they want to do and don’t look like deers in headlights at mlb competition . In other words they are much better prepared to contribute to the ML team . 

just my observations - thoughts?

Edited by ofan239
Left out word
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Wish I could be a fly on the wall down there. O's should be putting those games and practices on Facebook Live when the big club has off days. I hate that it feels like a black box but would be great to see what they are doing in intrasquad games and such. I will note Mountcastle's defense seems at least adequate so maybe that developmental time paid off? Who is working with the pitchers down there? Just about everyone they have called up has been ready to help the club.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wish I could be a fly on the wall down there. O's should be putting those games and practices on Facebook Live when the big club has off days. I hate that it feels like a black box but would be great to see what they are doing in intrasquad games and such. I will note Mountcastle's defense seems at least adequate so maybe that developmental time paid off? Who is working with the pitchers down there? Just about everyone they have called up has been ready to help the club.

Very bad idea.  Would just be handing data to other teams.

• Upvote 3

I’d love for one of the beat reporters to do a story on what’s actually happening at the alternate camp.    We hear vague things about how the players are working hard over there, but that’s about all we get.     Are there live scrimmages at 100% effort?    Is there BP where the pitchers are actually trying?     How many hours a day are they there, and are they all there at the same time?     I think we do know that the coaches are working with the pitchers using the Rapsodo machines and the like.   

By the way, I think it will be interesting next year to see which teams were best able to continue developing their minor league players in the absence of a minor league season.    I think we will find that some teams experience a competitive advantage/disadvantage due to this.    It’s not like there’s a roadmap how to do this.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d love for one of the beat reporters to do a story on what’s actually happening at the alternate camp.    We hear vague things about how the players are working hard over there, but that’s about all we get.     Are there live scrimmages at 100% effort?    Is there BP where the pitchers are actually trying?     How many hours a day are they there, and are they all there at the same time?     I think we do know that the coaches are working with the pitchers using the Rapsodo machines and the like.   

By the way, I think it will be interesting next year to see which teams were best able to continue developing their minor league players in the absence of a minor league season.    I think we will find that some teams experience a competitive advantage/disadvantage due to this.    It’s not like there’s a roadmap how to do this.  

They have a roadmap, the academies in the Dominican.

I don't think we should be getting carried away just yet.  Akin's looked good, Kremer was fantastic.  Let's not forget DJ Stewart was 0 for the season before his power outburst this weekend.  Mountcastle has looked great.

While I'm sure they're getting some good instruction at the Bowie site, this is still a "wildcard small sample size™" of performance in the majors for all of these guys.  It's certainly encouraging but I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions just yet.

Now if these guys are looking like this in early September 2021, yeah, whole different story.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

To generate excitement about prospects and good will with the fan base in a year that minor leagues are shut down. 

The people that would watch it aren't the portion of the fanbase they are worried about losing.

Something like that wouldn't grow the sport.

"I'm not much for baseball normally, I think it's kinda slow and boring but this is amazing.  He's talking about how if the other guy rotates his hips 5% faster it will enable him to get bat around in time to hit the fastball on the inside corner of the plate." 

Teams would be doing their best to hide anything actually useful and would probably keep things very generic on the days they were filming.

13 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I suppose this is why Elias supports gutting Minor League baseball.  Who needs real games besides baseball fans in small towns?

Had the same thought this morning. I think a minor league contraction is a near certainty at this point. Very sad because I think as some have said, the minor leagues groom lifelong baseball fans in rural areas. And there is nothing like going to a minor league games. It’s far more pure than a major league experience, for me. I want to start a ‘save the minor leagues’ petition. Who’s signing?

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They have a roadmap, the academies in the Dominican.

That’s a lot different.   What are they doing with all the guys who have played a couple years of MiL ball but aren’t on the 60 man roster, to try to make progress from last year?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a lot different.   What are they doing with all the guys who have played a couple years of MiL ball but aren’t on the 60 man roster, to try to make progress from last year?

But it's a roadmap.  They do have experience in a similar situation.  My guess is that for the most part the guys they didn't put on the 60 are mostly on their own.  The ones actually considered prospects that didn't make the 60 man are probably getting one on one zoom chats with coaches with maybe some face to face visits.