Where's Pedro Severino fit in the future?

Moose Milligan

It would be interesting to know how much the clubs are paying attention to this and if you start to see teams caring a lot less about arms behind the plate.

And if that happens, you also wonder if teams take advantage of that and try to steal more.

I also wonder if managers are relaying this info to the point where pitchers basically stop paying attention to the runner on first.  Sometimes, that distraction is a killer.  

Hoiles's last few years are the worst in my memory - 23/21/22 percent caught against ever increasing volume.

96 SB in 126 games

74 SB in 87 games

98 SB in 83 games

It was a slippery slope getting worse and worse - he was only catching low 20's because sluggers were going.  Every single/walk felt like a double.

I think today the calculus is 10 Mike Trout SB attempts equals X percent of an IL stint, and the bases mostly aren't worth it.  Until sometimes maybe they are in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Should we sell “high” on Severino, Alberto and Nunez, this offseason?  All will be in Arbitration in 2021.

As much as I love this team, I think it’s a stretch to see them “contend” in 2021. We just don’t have the SP. 

Longterm we have AR for C. We have Vavra, Hall, and Bannon in play for 2B longterm. With Valaika and Martin, already in the mix. We’ll be ok filling 1B in the short and longterm. 

It’s a chance to really sell role player types that could fit on a contending team now, but would allow us to get players in higher positions of need for our “run” in 2022+. 

What could they fetch?  The Givens package?

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Should we sell “high” on Severino, Alberto and Nunez, this offseason?  All will be in Arbitration in 2021.

Severino is the one of those that I can best imagine attaining some actual market value.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-positional-power-rankings-catcher/

The team will need to wait out the Realmuto bidding for the good teams that need a catcher.  If we just guess the Phillies retain, the bottom-tier catching situations from this summer on clubs that perhaps mean to contend in 2021 look like:

COL - happy to do business with them again

DET - Schoop repping the former Oriole brand well

WAS - haha.  Imagine the WS tenure helps the incumbents

CIN - will try not to have a Tyler Mahle infatuation here, they could maybe use Alberto too.  Nunez as fill-in with Votto salary relief?

NYM - ibid Colorado

HOU - do Elias Sig still have some nuanced favorites even James Click doesn't have his arms around yet?

On 9/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's currently got an .859 OPS with a .388 OBP (136 WRC+) - He's been worth 0.5 fWAR/bWAR in 26 games/85 PA. That's a 3-win player over 500 PA. Overall numbers are dragged down by a bad 2018, but 2017, 2019, and 2020 are all respectable to very good by catcher standards.

This is where Sisco is today the 19th. He has improved, in K and BB rats especially, but I don’t think anyone is going to be in a rush to trade anything meaningful for him. His defense remains bad and he offers nothing as a runner. 

32.4 K rate
.340 BABIP
.235 AVG
.381 OBP
125 WRC

.03 fWAR

On 9/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, ChuckS said:

Zero passed balls for Sisco. Three for Pedro.

Sisco has caught 2 of 9 base stealers. Severino 0 for 5.  These stats seem negligible.  

Both are slightly in the plus column for dWAR.  

Maybe someone else wants to provide the advance stats.

As of 9-19
Sisco 
0 PB
13 WP
-3 dRS
-2.7 dWAR 

Overall 0.3 fWAR

Severino 
5 PB
15 WP
-1DRS
dWAR. 04

Overall .7 fWAR 

I included wild pitches Because it can be debatable whether the blame should be on the catcher or the pitcher, but Sisco Is clearly better at stopping pitches.
But neither of these guys will make any other team go googly eyed.