Mountcastle’s speed

Frobby

On 9/11/2020 at 6:43 AM, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't have enough arm to play SS.  It was the main reason they moved him off.

It does seem fine for left.

Based on the comments I’ve read about Mountcastle growing into his body in the last year or two, gaining speed and athleticism, and working on his weaknesses, I wonder if he’s also finally been able to improve his throwing.    I remember Tony commenting that Mountcastle had really unorthodox throwing mechanics and a slow throwing motion.    There’s little question that he worked at it those first 2-3 years in the organization and showed little if any improvement.    But I wonder if he’s showing improvement now that he’s grown into his body, and whether that improvement might be enough to return him to 3B.    Mind you, I doubt the O’s would try it.    But if a 45/40 runner can suddenly be in the top 17% in sprint speed, who’s to say that a 30 thrower couldn’t boost himself to a 45 once in a blue moon?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Based on the comments I’ve read about Mountcastle growing into his body in the last year or two, gaining speed and athleticism, and working on his weaknesses, I wonder if he’s also finally been able to improve his throwing.    I remember Tony commenting that Mountcastle had really unorthodox throwing mechanics and a slow throwing motion.    There’s little question that he worked at it those first 2-3 years in the organization and showed little if any improvement.    But I wonder if he’s showing improvement now that he’s grown into his body, and whether that improvement might be enough to return him to 3B.    Mind you, I doubt the O’s would try it.    But if a 45/40 runner can suddenly be in the top 17% in sprint speed, who’s to say that a 30 thrower couldn’t boost himself to a 45 once in a blue moon?

His throws from the outfield look sidearm to me. Like an infielder.  I feel like he does that inverted elbow thing too which can hurt the arm. I think he’d have more strength and accuracy coming over the top.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

His throws from the outfield look sidearm to me. Like an infielder.  I feel like he does that inverted elbow thing too which can hurt the arm. I think he’d have more strength and accuracy coming over the top.

Thanks.   I really haven’t seen much of his OF play.    

Would be curious to know if Mountcastle's speed program came from the club, or if it was finding an outside consultant ala Means in St. Louis two offseasons ago.

Could turbo-boosted Yusniel or Santander hold down CF?  That would be a nice insurance policy to transform Hays from necessity to luxury, and our path to getting Mullins some 100 game, 200 at-bat seasons.