Connelly: This time it really feels like the end for Chris Davis as an Oriole

SteveA

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yup.   Not too surprised.    But I do think we may see him cut before the OD roster is set, if it appears the team will play 162 games.

I thought that also but I also expect some kind of work stoppage the following year.  I think the owners are going to dig in this time to get a salary cap.  If that happens and they don't play 162 games that could be a significant savings on Davis's contract.  I can see Davis spending most of the 2021 season on the DL and then see if what happens in 2022.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

I thought that also but I also expect some kind of work stoppage the following year.  I think the owners are going to dig in this time to get a salary cap.  If that happens and they don't play 162 games that could be a significant savings on Davis's contract.  I can see Davis spending most of the 2021 season on the DL and then see if what happens in 2022.

I don’t know what the odds of a work stoppage are in 2022, or how long a stoppage would last, but I wouldn’t keep Davis around for 2021 based on that possibility.    JMO.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:05 PM, Camden_yardbird said:

There's no evidence and I hope we can be higher here than denigrating a player who brought a lot of fun to the orioles for many years because he didn't perform up to his contract.  Dont try and make it okay because you think he wasn't trying. He obviously cared, he obviously worked hard.

Let's not go to the he stopped caring, or thank God he's gone comments.  Its not a good look.

"Didn't perform up to his contract" is putting it mildly. . What did he hit this year .121?  He caused a lot of pain and frustration to the Orioles and their fans ever since that contract was signed.    He seems to me to care more  about keeping the checks coming than  his performance or he'd have worked out a deal to retire in exchange for an adjusted contract.

One reason to keep him around is just in case Covid19 gets worse and the 2021 season were cancelled then the Orioles may not have to pay his full salary.  Chris Davis is a walking argument for the owners standing up for a salary cap even if it means a  long strike.

Edited by Maverick Hiker

9 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

"Didn't perform up to his contract" is putting it mildly. . What did he hit this year .121?  He caused a lot of pain and frustration to the Orioles and their fans ever since that contract was signed.    He seems to me to care more  about keeping the checks coming than  his performance or he'd have worked out a deal to retire in exchange for an adjusted contract.

One reason to keep him around is just in case Covid19 gets worse and the 2021 season were cancelled then the Orioles may not have to pay his full salary.  Chris Davis is a walking argument for the owners standing up for a salary cap even if it means a  long strike.

What's a salary cap have to do with anything?

The Davis contract didn't push the Orioles' spending to a particularly high point.

If anything it's an argument against guaranteed money.

I think 28 out of 30 teams already knew not to sign a player like Davis to that type of contract.