Santander may odd man out in 2021 or 2022

ofan239

5 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Nunez is really the odd man out next year. What does an Arb1, no glove, slightly above average hitter fetch on the trade market? Maybe a Cadyn Grenier or even a Zac Lowther type

I'd much rather have Lowther than Nunez. I'd be mad if the O's traded Lowther for Nunez unless we were desperate for a RH bat in the middle of a serious playoff run. Even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

2 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

I may be the only one that sees Stewart as an asset. 

I think Stewart's a real asset. Gets on base. Has some pop. Is left handed. Decent enough in the outfield. I like him.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Diaz might be the odd man out.

On talent, I think he's superior to Stewart, and as I said above, I like Stewart. 

Just now, LookinUp said:

I'd much rather have Lowther than Nunez. I'd be mad if the O's traded Lowther for Nunez unless we were desperate for a RH bat in the middle of a serious playoff run. Even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

I think Stewart's a real asset. Gets on base. Has some pop. Is left handed. Decent enough in the outfield. I like him.

On talent, I think he's superior to Stewart, and as I said above, I like Stewart. 

I'm not a huge Stewart fan, but he gets on base and that's something this team really needs.

I'm not sure what the defensive metrics say about him but he's one of those outfielders where every flyball looks like an adventure.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Some trades need to be made, there is no doubt about that.

We certainly appear to have COF depth. I'm not convinced now is the time for those trades, but if all goes well, I agree that at some point we'd want to use those bodies to upgrade other positions.

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

We certainly appear to have COF depth. I'm not convinced now is the time for those trades, but if all goes well, I agree that at some point we'd want to use those bodies to upgrade other positions.

Well it’s not just CO...we have DH/1st/CO bats, not to mention a potential issue with too much depth of pitchers who need to be on the 40 man.

Not that worried about the outfield because of injuries and because so many guys are so young.  Most likely some of the hot guys will regress and some the struggling guys will suddenly improve.  It's such a weird year and such a small sample size.  

1B/DH will be the real logjam if Mancini comes back healthy (which is hardly a given) and whenever Rutschman gets promoted.  If Mancini is ready he's probably more likely to DH or play first than the outfield.  Anything is possible with him, but it's hard to imagine him playing the outfield any time soon.

Do Severino and Sisco just become bench players when Adley is ready?  They both can hit and should see a good amount of time at DH if not 1B as well if Adley is ready next season.  I'd hate to see either get traded, but if Rutstchman is tearing it up soon it's hard to see the O's keeping all three.  Rutschman may need more time though.

Stewart has had a couple of good weeks, but I'm a long way from thinking he's a long-term answer. Santander looked like an All Star before he was hurt. I think you have Mountcastle in left, Hays/Mullins in center and Santander/Stewart in right next year. I want to see Diaz have a big season in AAA next year before I count on him winning a job in Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/examining-the-chris-davis-situation.html

Roch mentions the idea that Nunez could be nontendered.

I dismissed this before as I think it’s a poor idea BUT I could see the team doing it.  As I mentioned with the Castro situation, non tenders are expected to be at a record high and if a team feels they can get similar production for 1/5 of the cost, they will do it.

I don’t think the team should do that with Nunez but I do feel some players need to be gone/traded, so it is something to look for.

Even at arb1 money, he isn’t going to make a lot, so I would think you could find some team that will take a 30 homer/800 OPS bat making a few million dollars.  Not everyone has enough options to just step right in and give you production close to that.

9 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Stewart has had a couple of good weeks, but I'm a long way from thinking he's a long-term answer. Santander looked like an All Star before he was hurt. I think you have Mountcastle in left, Hays/Mullins in center and Santander/Stewart in right next year. I want to see Diaz have a big season in AAA next year before I count on him winning a job in Baltimore.

Stewart turns 27 in November, and a month ago his career OPS was like .710.  In over 2000 minor league PAs his OPS is .790.  He's charitably an average fielder in an outfield corner. I think the reasonable conclusion on him is that he might be a decent piece for a while.  Nobody should be penciling him in as a solid starter long-term.

Less than a month ago people were talking about Stewart's time on the Orioles being essentially over.  Maybe he should get one more shot, but he's shown us nothing.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/examining-the-chris-davis-situation.html

Roch mentions the idea that Nunez could be nontendered.

I dismissed this before as I think it’s a poor idea BUT I could see the team doing it.  As I mentioned with the Castro situation, non tenders are expected to be at a record high and if a team feels they can get similar production for 1/5 of the cost, they will do it.

I don’t think the team should do that with Nunez but I do feel some players need to be gone/traded, so it is something to look for.

Even at arb1 money, he isn’t going to make a lot, so I would think you could find some team that will take a 30 homer/800 OPS bat making a few million dollars.  Not everyone has enough options to just step right in and give you production close to that.

So far Nunez has hit a little bit better as a DH than when playing the field.  If that continues long term that's a little bit of information in his favor.  Most players hit a little worse as a DH, which is one of the reasons that overall DHs don't hit any better than 1B/LFers who have more defensive responsibilities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Anthony Santander may wind up being the) MVO )of the 2020 season ...... in spite of the fact that he will have missed a little more than 1/3 of the season due to injury.

So, even the slightest notion of him being the "odd man out" for the 2021 or 2022 seasons says a lot about the potential depth of the franchise's outfield for the near future.

I don't think that Santander will be the odd man out  in 2021 ...... in fact, I suspect that he is probably at least 2 players removed from being the odd man out ...... but again, just the fact that the notion is being entertained in the slightest manner is encouraging to me in regard to the (potential) future of the Orioles' outfield.

o

o

Santander won it (thanks for the info, Sports Guy.)

This is mildly reminiscent of when Erik Bedard led the American League in Strikeouts-Per-9 Innings (10.929), Hits-Per-9 Innings (6.973), and was among the league leaders in Strikeouts (221) in spite of having missed the final 5 weeks of the season due to injury.

o

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, OFFNY said:

This is mildly reminiscent of when Erik Bedard led the American League in Strikeouts-Per-9 Innings (10.929), Hits-Per-9 Innings (6.973), and was among the league leaders in Strikeouts (221) in spite of having missed the final 5 weeks of the season due to injury.

Well, not that reminiscent.  Emphasis on “mildly.”

But I looked it up and Bedard finished third in strikeouts, behind Kazmir (239) and Santana (235).   As of the date Bedard got hurt, he was ahead of Kazmir by 32 strikeouts and Santana by 23.    He was in very good position to win the strikeout title before his injury.   

If I’m not mistaken, no (modern) Orioles pitcher has ever led the league in strikeouts.    That was our best shot.  (I added “modern” to head Drungo off at the pass.)

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, not that reminiscent. Emphasis on mildly.

But I looked it up, and Bedard finished 3rd in strikeouts behind Scott Kazmir (239) and Johan Santana (235.) As of the date Bedard got hurt, he was ahead of Kazmir by 32 Strikeouts and Santana by 23. He was in very good position to win the Strikeout title before his injury.   

If Im not mistaken, no (modern) Orioles pitcher has ever led the league in strikeouts. That was our best shot (I added modern to head Drungo off at the pass.)

o

Correct ....... mildly reminiscent.

o

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, not that reminiscent.  Emphasis on “mildly.”

But I looked it up and Bedard finished third in strikeouts, behind Kazmir (239) and Santana (235).   As of the date Bedard got hurt, he was ahead of Kazmir by 32 strikeouts and Santana by 23.    He was in very good position to win the strikeout title before his injury.   

If I’m not mistaken, no (modern) Orioles pitcher has ever led the league in strikeouts.    That was our best shot.  (I added “modern” to head Drungo off at the pass.)

Palmer played along side of many of the better Oriole pitchers. He said Bedard at that time had the best stuff of any Left Hander Starter that he had seen pitch for the Birds.

Not sure I would agree that it was the best, but I have to agree he has some nasty stuff, and if not the best, 2nd or 3rd isnt bad company to be in.