Buying a hurt pitcher

Just Regular

On 12/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, Roll Tide said:

How was Alex Cobb anything similar? Cobb didn't come here injured and its true the Orioles have had bad luck with free agents. In this case you'd know what you are buying.

Cobb had an injury history missing all of 2015 and most of 2016 with a UCL tear.  He had one good year in Tampa before the Os signed as a free agent in 2018 thinking we had one last shot with our core group.    Then he proceeded to spend more time on the IL. 

This org is clearly not spending a single dime it doesn't need to spend.   If the team is not going to compete within the length of Paxtons short-term contract, there is really zero upside to signing him.   On the off chance he does pitch well again, I can't see a team giving up much to get him a trade beyond maybe a C prospect.  So unless we would be willing to offer a QO (which I can't see either), we will have spent money on a player before being ready to compete, and not gotten any value out of him. 

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Cobb had an injury history missing all of 2015 and most of 2016 with a UCL tear.  He had one good year in Tampa before the Os signed as a free agent in 2018 thinking we had one last shot with our core group.    Then he proceeded to spend more time on the IL. 

This org is clearly not spending a single dime it doesn't need to spend.   If the team is not going to compete within the length of Paxtons short-term contract, there is really zero upside to signing him.   On the off chance he does pitch well again, I can't see a team giving up much to get him a trade beyond maybe a C prospect.  So unless we would be willing to offer a QO (which I can't see either), we will have spent money on a player before being ready to compete, and not gotten any value out of him. 

The team really can’t afford to. I am shocked they have spent some of the money they have. 
besides. There is not even a bargaining agreement to play beyond next season. 

8 hours ago, weams said:

The team really can’t afford to. I am shocked they have spent some of the money they have. 
besides. There is not even a bargaining agreement to play beyond next season. 

We agree on a lot ....but on this subject I adamantly disagree 

on a season where there is 162 games our payroll is not 25% of our total tv revenue.