Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Hader is incredible.  I watched him the other day get six outs to seal a win for them.  

I think that every teams fans sit around and think that ONLY their team is the ONLY TEAM EVER to give up on players to have them go on to find greatness somewhere else.  I'm sure if you talked to a fan of the San Francisco Giants he'd tell you all about the litany of players that have been let go/traded from there to find success elsewhere.  

But man, the Orioles have certainly had their share of doozies over the past few years.  Off the top of my head I can think of:

A 50 homer guy

A Cy Young award winner

Best reliever in the game

A 17 game winner

A consistent .850+ OPS 3rd baseman cornerstone of a consistent World Series contender

I know I'm forgetting others but...man, the Orioles have let go of some good ones.  

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Hader down to 1.82 ERA. Strop has bulked up and repeatedly called Puig "stupid" after plunking him with a clearly aimed fastball.

Remember when Pedro Strop was last seen in these parts?  22 innings, 15 walks, 2 HBP, a balk and 5 wild pitches.  He couldn't have hit Puig if he tried.  That was a long time ago.  He's had a pretty good career except the three months he totally lost it and forced the O's to dump him.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Remember when Pedro Strop was last seen in these parts?  22 innings, 15 walks, 2 HBP, a balk and 5 wild pitches.  He couldn't have hit Puig if he tried.  That was a long time ago.  He's had a pretty good career except the three months he totally lost it and forced the O's to dump him.

It was obvious to me at the time, the dude was tired.  We rode him pretty hard and he threw more innings that year than he'd ever had before.  I was pissed that they gave up on him that quickly.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I remember and yet, one can still seriously question whether those 22 innings were enough to erase the memory and hope of returning to the level of the 78.67 extraordinary innings Strop had thrown for the O's the previous two seasons. And it's not like he had to go through a 3-5 season odyssey with several teams to find himself again, unlike some of the other Oriole castoffs. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the O's--not uniquely, of course--just plain stunk at perceiving and fixing the problems of very talented pitchers, whether that was Buck's, his coaches' or Duquette's fault.

The Cubs obviously knew what to do: Strop, without an intervening period of ineptitude, has gone on to rack up SIX straight sub-3.00 ERA seasons in a row as a high-leverage reliever. And we acted as if he was a mere throw-in with Arrieta, based on those 22 innings. (As opposed to how many innings given to Wright, Ubaldo, Gallardo, end-of-the-road Tillman, etc.?)

The Orioles absolutely sucked at judging pitching, it's had very deep and pervasive long-term consequences, and it's going to take a lot to convince me that they've solved the problem, especially since the returns on the late-season dump of 2018 don't seem promising.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was obvious to me at the time, the dude was tired.  We rode him pretty hard and he threw more innings that year than he'd ever had before.  I was pissed that they gave up on him that quickly.

I guess that could be it.  But in '07 he threw 54.2 innings.  In '09 71.  In '10 he threw 53 innings.  In '11 69.2.  Then in '12 he had a 1.20 ERA in 52 innings on August 15th, then allowed 11 runs in 13 innings (32 baserunners) the rest of the year.  Had the winter off, came back, and pitching low-leverage mopup he gave up 40 baserunners and 19 runs in 22 innings through mid-June. 

I don't know what else you do with a guy who is unpitchable for three-and-a-half months when you're trying to contend.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I remember and yet, one can still seriously question whether those 22 innings were enough to erase the memory and hope of returning to the level of the 78.67 extraordinary innings Strop had thrown for the O's the previous two seasons. And it's not like he had to go through a 3-5 season odyssey with several teams to find himself again, unlike some of the other Oriole castoffs. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the O's--not uniquely, of course--just plain stunk at perceiving and fixing the problems of very talented pitchers, whether that was Buck's, his coaches' or Duquette's fault.

The Cubs obviously knew what to do: Strop, without an intervening period of ineptitude, has gone to rack up SIX straight sub-3.00 ERA seasons in a row as a high-leverage reliever. And we acted as if he was a mere throw-in with Arrieta, based on those 22 innings. (As opposed to how many innings given to Wright, Ubaldo, Gallardo, etc.?)

The Orioles absolutely sucked at judging pitching, it's had very deep and pervasive long-term consequences, and it's going to take a lot to convince me that they've solved the problem, especially since the returns on the late-season dump of 2018 don't seem promising.

Yes, it appears he had some kind of an obvious problem the O's couldn't fix (internet go-to: he was tipping his pitches!).  But the Cubs did.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess that could be it.  But in '07 he threw 54.2 innings.  In '09 71.  In '10 he threw 53 innings.  In '11 69.2.  Then in '12 he had a 1.20 ERA in 52 innings on August 15th, then allowed 11 runs in 13 innings (32 baserunners) the rest of the year.  Had the winter off, came back, and pitching low-leverage mopup he gave up 40 baserunners and 19 runs in 22 innings through mid-June. 

I don't know what else you do with a guy who is unpitchable for three-and-a-half months when you're trying to contend.

I guess I remembered it wrong.  For some reason I thought he'd thrown more innings that year and looked fatigued.  

That trade worked out pretty damn well for the Cubs, I'd say.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess I remembered it wrong.  For some reason I thought he'd thrown more innings that year and looked fatigued.  

I think he could have been fatigued.  Most of those prior years were in the minors, or split minors/majors.  If the usage patters and warmups aren't right 52 MLB innings in high-leverage situations on a contender in 4+ months could wear you out.

Although that doesn't explain '13.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fatigue was mentioned at the time.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, it appears he had some kind of an obvious problem the O's couldn't fix (internet go-to: he was tipping his pitches!).  But the Cubs did.

So the O's cdn't pick up on a flaw that several teams' batters did...jeesh.