Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

One of my favorite Orioles of the past five years, Joey Rickard was called up by the Giants a few days ago.

He was absolutely killing it for them in AAA: .922 OPS over 56 games.

Over his first four games back in the majors he’s 3/9 with a homer, a double, and two walks. (1.232 OPS).

He joins another former Oriole prospect, Mike Yastrzemski, in their outfield. The grandson of Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski, has been off to a great start for the Giants. He’s got an .821 OPS over 61 games, with 12 homers, 14 doubles, and 2 triples.

Sure would be nice to have Yaz, Rickard, and Christian Walker (all 28) back in our system...

Edited by TommyPickles
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

One of my favorite Orioles of the past five years, Joey Rickard was called up by the Giants a few days ago.

He was absolutely killing it for them in AAA: .922 OPS over 56 games.

Over his first four games back in the majors he’s 3/9 with a homer, a double, and two walks. (1.232 OPS).

He joins another former Oriole prospect, Mike Yastrzemski, in their outfield. The grandson of Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski, has been off to a great start for the Giants. He’s got an .821 OPS over 61 games, with 12 homers, 14 doubles, and 2 triples.

Sure would be nice to have Yaz, Rickard, and Christian Walker (all 28) back in our system...

13 home runs after today for Yaz.

58 minutes ago, atomic said:

I never understood why we never gave Yaz a chance with all the terrible players we have had in the last two years.  Both DD and Elias failed here.  

OK, lets be honest.  Little Yaz struggled his way through his minor league career.  He was 25 before he did well has AA and he was 27 before he had a good year at AAA in 2018.    Elias did invite him to ST this spring.   And he struggled again.    

I think its great that he is doing well for the Giants but the fact is his struggles were the reason he is did not  progress faster through his minor league career.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

I find it puzzling how the O's didn't give Yaz a chance despite all the reliance on Rickard. One would think we'd learned something after the dull procession of corner-outfield failures ever since Markakis left.

The Harbor Park effect. AAA made us overhype all of our P to come through there and underhype our Hitters. 

The MLB balls in AAA may have helped us out more than the usual org. Imagine all these AAA P on this year’s team might have decent ERA in AAA. We’d be wondering why they couldn’t do that in AAA. Now we know, they’re terrible in AAA too. 

Notice how cautious we’ve been with promoting guys from Bowie. It could work against our SP prospects there, but a guy like Diaz could really force the issue. I don’t think we’re trying to promote Diaz until next June 1. 

My tinfoil thoughts. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

OK, lets be honest.  Little Yaz struggled his way through his minor league career.  He was 25 before he did well has AA and he was 27 before he had a good year at AAA in 2018.    Elias did invite him to ST this spring.   And he struggled again.    

I think its great that he is doing well for the Giants but the fact is his struggles were the reason he is did not  progress faster through his minor league career.

Well, for me the question is whether the Giants' scouts or AAA staff saw something about Yaz that we didn't. Good that we gave Santander a decent chance. Have been trying to give the same to DJ but couldn't prevent his injuries.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Harbor Park effect. AAA made us overhype all of our P to come through there and underhype our Hitters. 

The MLB balls in AAA may have helped us out more than the usual org. Imagine all these AAA P on this year’s team might have decent ERA in AAA. We’d be wondering why they couldn’t do that in AAA. Now we know, they’re terrible in AAA too. 

Notice how cautious we’ve been with promoting guys from Bowie. It could work against our SP prospects there, but a guy like Diaz could really force the issue. I don’t think we’re trying to promote Diaz until next June 1. 

My tinfoil thoughts. 

Were one or more of the "AAA"'s supposed to be an "AA?" I'm confused.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Schoop isn’t even cracking the Twins starting lineup now. 

It’s more a case of Luis Arreaz playing well than Schoop playing poorly.    Arreaz is hitting .355/.425/.468 overall since getting called up in late May, and .375/.452/.495 at 2B.   Tough to argue with that.