Instructional League

weams

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

A few names here I don’t know.   

Same.  Saw Dax Stubbs and wondered if he was Drew Stubbs son.   But then saw Drew is only 36, so maybe not, nephew maybe?   Former MLB players relatives seem to working well for the BlueJays!  Sorta...

Also had forgotten about Blaine Knight, I remember being excited by him at the end of 2018 and that he struggled in 2019.  Went back and looked and saw it was really bad at Frederick for him last year.   Can't remember, did he have a velocity drop or injury or something?

7 hours ago, murph said:

Also had forgotten about Blaine Knight, I remember being excited by him at the end of 2018 and that he struggled in 2019.  Went back and looked and saw it was really bad at Frederick for him last year.   Can't remember, did he have a velocity drop or injury or something?

I feel like the knock on him was fringy spin rates and velocity, so basically just not dynamic stuff.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• ZiPS being an inhuman thing incapable of recency bias is not much out on Holliday.    It only dings his 2025-2029 forecast WAR by about 3% today relative to what it was forecasting this spring. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/reassessing-the-future-for-this-seasons-disappointing-rookies/ Jackson Holliday’s numbers didn’t take a big hit for a few reasons. First, and most importantly, despite a really lousy debut in the majors, he played well enough in the minors — plus he’s so young and his résumé is so strong — that his small-sample struggles barely register. By reverse-o-fying Holliday’s major league woes into an untranslated minor league line and including it in his overall Triple-A production, ZiPS estimates that he would’ve had a 118 wRC+ in Triple-A this season, down from his actual mark of 142. A 20-year-old shortstop with a 118 wRC+ in Triple-A would still top everybody’s prospect list.
    • Kjerstad should also get some reps in at first so he can be an option there as well, although now is probably not the time, best for him to DH for the rest of the season. He had 8 starts at first at AAA this season and 37 starts there between AA and AAA in 2023.
    • In Grich’s case, I think his OBP skills weren’t appreciated at the time.  He was a .266 lifetime hitter in an era when that was maybe 10 points above average, but his .371 OBP was more like 45-50 points above average.  But OBP just wasn’t very valued at the time.  
    • We don’t have a current combo that is ideal. You have to go with the best possible grouping you have.
    • Yep, we're in agreement on the 70 rWAR threshold.  A championship would help Manny's cause, though I'm not sure if that's in the cards for him in the near future.  He needs a big moment on a big stage, too....as silly as that sounds, I do believe it matters in the eyes of some voters. Not to derail, but Whitaker is a guy that belongs in the HoF, too.  I'm not sure why Grich never got serious consideration.
    • I’ve always felt that 70 rWAR was the line between having to justify why someone shouldn’t be in the HOF versus justifying why they should.  In other words, if you’re over 70, there needs to be a reason for you NOT to be in.  There are 70 position players over 70 WAR, and the only ones not in are Bonds, Pujols (not yet eligible), Trout (not yet eligible), Rose, Bill Dahlen, Lou Whitaker, Raffy Palmeiro, Bobby Grich, and Carlos Beltran.  Really, only Dahlen, Whitaker and Grich have no obvious reason why they’re not in.  And I wouldn’t bet against Beltran getting in eventually.  He’s gotten  46% and 57% of the ballots his first two tries.  
  • Popular Contributors