Place the O's minor league infielders

wildcard

I asked Melewski when the decision was going to be made and he said he wasn’t sure but that we would have 4 full season teams and at least 1 short season.

So, let’s assume is AberdeenDelmarva, Bowie and Norfolk.

Hernaiz only had 99 GCL at bats.  Do you have him start back there?  He held his own at a very young age.  He will be play most of next year at age 19 (turns 20 in early August).  Do you start him at GCL for a while or do you want to move him to Aberdeen?

If you keep him in the GCL, it allows you to have Henderson, Servideo and Westburg all starting at SS BUT it means one of them has to be in Bowie.  Who are you putting at Bowie?

You also have Adam Hall, who I guess you could move to second base.

I think I would do it this way (2nd/SS)

AAA: Bannon/Martin

AA: Vavra/Servideo 

A+: Hall/Henderson

A: Ortiz/Westburg 

Hernaiz starts in GCL.

Servideo gets the AA nod because of his defense.  He doesn’t have to work on it as much as Henderson and Westburg.

Mayo starts in GCL.

Note: this assumes the organization wants to keep Gunnar and Westburg at SS for now.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, Tony-OH said:

By the way, I'm done talking with folks and will put out my Top 30 prospects starting next week.

Tony, that’s a lot of work, I really hope now that Luc is gone you have someone else to help you share the labor. I would really be happy to help if I knew anything, but I know nothing not even where to look.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Tony, that’s a lot of work, I really hope now that Luc is gone you have someone else to help you share the labor. I would really be happy to help if I knew anything, but I know nothing not even where to look.

Sacre bleu!    Do we have any Francophone prospects for “Luc” to weigh in on?

I’ll be interested to hear how Tony put this list together.    It’s really a challenge when there was no minor league season, a very short high school/college season for the players just drafted, and quite a few players who we received in trades but have never played an official game in the Orioles’ organization.   Hopefully Tony has some sources who got to see some of what went on at Bowie camp, as well as spring training.    And of course, we got a sneak peek at Mountcastle, Akin, Kremer and Zimmermann against major league competition.    As always, I’m really looking forward to seeing and debating the list.    

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I asked Melewski when the decision was going to be made and he said he wasn’t sure but that we would have 4 full season teams and at least 1 short season.

So, let’s assume is AberdeenDelmarva, Bowie and Norfolk.

Hernaiz only had 99 GCL at bats.  Do you have him start back there?  He held his own at a very young age.  He will be play most of next year at age 19 (turns 20 in early August).  Do you start him at GCL for a while or do you want to move him to Aberdeen?

If you keep him in the GCL, it allows you to have Henderson, Servideo and Westburg all starting at SS BUT it means one of them has to be in Bowie.  Who are you putting at Bowie?

You also have Adam Hall, who I guess you could move to second base.

I’d like to see them move the AAA team to Frederick Or Bowie and ditch Norfolk. 

14 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I think giving up the largest metro area in VA would be a mistake long term.

I'm not sure why.this sentiment to dump Norfolk is so prevalent.  It's a nice ballpark in an area worthy of a AAA team.  I guess folks just want someplace closer, which is weird since Norfolk isn't exactly far.  It's what a four hour drive from Camden?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure why.this sentiment to dump Norfolk is so prevalent.  It's a nice ballpark in an area worthy of a AAA team.  I guess folks just want someplace closer, which is weird since Norfolk isn't exactly far.  It's what a four hour drive from Camden?

It’s all about location.  I would rather have the team closer.

That being said, if you have evidence that the team being down there is good for the fan base and that taking it away further hurts revenue, so be it.  But can you also argue the same about dropping the Keys?

I don’t know.  I would assume the Os have those numbers.  I know they had numbers like that in the past when I worked down there, so no reason to think they don’t now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all about location.  I would rather have the team closer.

That being said, if you have evidence that the team being down there is good for the fan base and that taking it away further hurts revenue, so be it.  But can you also argue the same about dropping the Keys?

I don’t know.  I would assume the Os have those numbers.  I know they had numbers like that in the past when I worked down there, so no reason to think they don’t now.

A four hour drive isn't far.  A player can easily be contacted after a game ends and be at OPACY by noon the following day and not be overly fatigued.  Other than for the convenience of fans why would you need to be closer?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A four hour drive isn't far.  A player can easily be contacted after a game ends and be at OPACY by noon the following day and not be overly fatigued.  Other than for the convenience of fans why would you need to be closer?

A 30-40 min drive is even closer.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

AA. ss - Hall 2B - Vavra

A+   3B Westburg ss - Henderson - 2B - Diaz. (Henderson and Westburg split time at both spots)

A-     ss - Servideo - 2B Hernaiz

I would guess the Os are not willing to split those guys times at different positions.  I would think they want them to play as much as possible at one position.  

Plus, you want them to keep focused on offense too..learning a new position and going back and forth could effect them between the ears a bit.