Any chance that the O’s are in on Ha-Seong Kim

Roll Tide

We know Peter never participated in the posting player process.

Any chance Elias can get the approval and can justify the investment in this guy. Looks to be the next good Korean ball player and he’s only 25. This is the kind of player that I’d want them to take a chance on. And we have a hole at 3B.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/ha-seong-kim-shortstop-posted-kiwoom-heroes-kbo-mlb.html

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We know Peter never participated in the posting player process.

Any chance Elias can get the approval and can justify the investment in this guy. Looks to be the next good Korean ball player and he’s only 25. This is the kind of player that I’d want them to take a chance on. And we have a hole at 3B.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/ha-seong-kim-shortstop-posted-kiwoom-heroes-kbo-mlb.html

I read about him a few days ago. 

Seems like a very nice player that could help a team and yes, he's young.

I think there is close to zero chance the O's are in on him.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just have a feeling that payroll will be reduced this offseason.  They don't need fans.  He would improve the team.

I just can't understand the massive pressure the O's are under to cut payroll.  I believe their payroll is either 29th or 30th in the majors.  The only major contracts they have for 2021 are Davis $23 mill and Cobb $15 mill.  That's $38 mill total on the books.

It gets better for the O's.  $7 mill of Davis's salary for 2021 and $4.5 mill of Cobb's salary for 2021 are deferred.  That's only $26.5 mill on the books.  From cot's baseball contracts: 

if Cobb does not pitch 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.5M of 2021 salary is deferred, to be paid $1.75M annually each 11/30, 2033-35

So, that's a total of $21 million on the books for next year.  Please someone explain how the O's are in a finiancial bind with all the national TV money, licensing money, internet fees, local TV money, money redistributed for small markets, without even counting any money from in person attendance. 

A case can be made that some of the clubs who are near the luxury tax and don't have huge revenue streams like the Yankees and Dodgers could have cashflow problems, but I can't see any reason the O's would.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My "shtick" such as it is, is the idea that while the team is profitable ownership wants to draw even more revenue from it.

I hope that's not the case.  Even if it is, it is more profitable to have a few "stars" like Mancini or Brian Roberts an example on their past O's teams, to increase revenue and profit.