1. 1. Who is the #13 and#14 prospects?

• Carter Baumler and Terrin Vavra
    • Hudson Haskin and Terrin Vavra
    • Ryan McKenna and Adam Hall
    • Coby Mayo and Carter Baumler
    • Terrin Vavra and Hudson Haskin

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hall was ranked 17 last year, behind several players who are still on the board and didn’t play in Bowie this summer.   Based on Tony’s comment in another thread that he wasn’t going to change the order of the incumbent players from last year who didn’t play at the alternate site, I think that rules out the McKenna-Hall choice.   

Haskin was picked ahead of Baumler and Mayo, and received a bigger bonus than either of them.   Accordingly, I see no reason either of them would jump Haskin on the list.   

So, that leaves Vavra-Haskin or Haskin-Vavra.   I’ve seen Vavra ranked as high as 7th in our system (per Fangraphs), so I’ll go Vavra-Haskin.

I had Vavra In the previous group because of Tony’ enthusiasm, And his pessimism about Diaz. So I think logically he would be in this group. Baumler is fresh out of high school, and he’s what 4-5 years away? I wouldn’t expect him to be so high.

My first reaction was one of the Vavra pairings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hall was ranked 17 last year, behind several players who are still on the board and didn’t play in Bowie this summer.   Based on Tony’s comment in another thread that he wasn’t going to change the order of the incumbent players from last year who didn’t play at the alternate site, I think that rules out the McKenna-Hall choice.   

Haskin was picked ahead of Baumler and Mayo, and received a bigger bonus than either of them.   Accordingly, I see no reason either of them would jump Haskin on the list.   

So, that leaves Vavra-Haskin or Haskin-Vavra.   I’ve seen Vavra ranked as high as 7th in our system (per Fangraphs), so I’ll go Vavra-Haskin.

Haskin is a sabermetric darling. All the data folks love him. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

IIRC, Mayo and Baumler were thought to be "unsignable" and surely going to college.  The Orioles pulled off a coups by using the savings from the 1.2 slot to draft and sign them.  Therefore, Haskin being drafted before them doesn't really prove that the Orioles necessarily had him rated higher than Mayo or Baumler.  You may be right, but I don't think it is a given.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

IIRC, Mayo and Baumler were thought to be "unsignable" and surely going to college.  The Orioles pulled off a coups by using the savings from the 1.2 slot to draft and sign them.  Therefore, Haskin being drafted before them doesn't really prove that the Orioles necessarily had him rated higher than Mayo or Baumler.  You may be right, but I don't think it is a given.

But I also relied on the fact that they paid Haskin more money than them, not just that he was drafted higher.   But it was reasonably close, so not necessarily definitive.  

Haskin $1.91mm 

Mayo $1.75 mm

Baumler $1.5 mm

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to see the plate discipline improve with his lack of power, but saying that, I think he's a got a chance to stick at 2B.

I think I remember reports being that he got a lot stronger this year.  With the ML ball being what it is he might hit for an acceptable about of power.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I remember reports being that he got a lot stronger this year.  With the ML ball being what it is he might hit for an acceptable about of power.

Unless his stroke changed (which it could have), he was not going hit for much power. Who knows nowadays. Everyone seems to hit for power with the major league super balls.