Kjerstad was finishing college degree

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Papeete said:

Let's wake-up from our coma! He signed a contract with the Orioles. He is getting his degree. The Orioles are well aware of him getting his degree. The Orioles are not complaining about what he is doing right now.  If it's not a priority with the Orioles, which they are not discussing, THEN, why is it an issue with the posters on here? 

If the Orioles had a problem do you think they would go to the media with it?

Can you imagine the blowback for the Orioles if they started complaining about their brand new #2 overall pick that they signed for a sizeable discount?

I'm not actually suggesting they have an issue mind you just if they did they wouldn't go public with it.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

For some jobs that piece of paper still makes you qualified when you wouldn't be without it.

Yes, I agree.   I posted what his degree was in and also a link so that people could see a description of what that degree program is.    I certainly wouldn’t say it couldn’t lead to a job that someone without a college degree could get.    I tried to figure out how many students at Arkansas major in that subject, but couldn’t find information on that.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I agree.   I posted what his degree was in and also a link so that people could see a description of what that degree program is.    I certainly wouldn’t say it couldn’t lead to a job that someone without a college degree could get.    I tried to figure out how many students at Arkansas major in that subject, but couldn’t find information on that.   

Even outside of his field of study you have jobs that just require a degree not a specific degree.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even outside of his field of study you have jobs that just require a degree not a specific degree.

Yeah, and that's a problem. These places want to use college degrees as a proxy for determining if someone is a reliable, responsible adult. As a society, there has to be a better, cheaper alternative than asking people to spend four years in the prime of their life and $40,000+ dollars getting otherwise useless degrees

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, and that's a problem. These places want to use college degrees as a proxy for determining if someone is a reliable, responsible adult. As a society, there has to be a better, cheaper alternative than asking people to spend four years in the prime of their life and $40,000+ dollars getting otherwise useless degrees

That’s really up to individual businesses to decide.   I do suspect that there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people without college degrees who are better educated than many people who have a college degree.    And, there are many jobs that may require intelligence and specific training but don’t require knowledge of many things people study in college.   But businesses can decide for themselves what their criteria are.    

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s really up to individual businesses to decide.   I do suspect that there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people without college degrees who are better educated than many people who have a college degree.    And, there are many jobs that may require intelligence and specific training but don’t require knowledge of many things people study in college.   But businesses can decide for themselves what their criteria are.    

Of course businesses can do what they want. I'm saying as a society we should put forward some better methods to help businesses determine who is qualified that don't cost four years and $40,000+ per person

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Of course businesses can do what they want. I'm saying as a society we should put forward some better methods to help businesses determine who is qualified that don't cost four years and $40,000+ per person

What I am saying is why should “society” do it?    And how would it do it?   Businesses can do it for themselves.    

22 hours ago, Papeete said:

Let's wake-up from our coma! He signed a contract with the Orioles. He is getting his degree. The Orioles are well aware of him getting his degree. The Orioles are not complaining about what he is doing right now.  If it's not a priority with the Orioles, which they are not discussing, THEN, why is it an issue with the posters on here? 

You need to check your attitude here. this is not how we talk to each other here at the Hangout. You can have any opinion you want and can share that opinion, but you need to tone things down. 

You sound close to the situation. I suggest you relax and realize people are going to have differing opinions and now that he is a professional, taking the heat is part of the situation. 

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What I am saying is why should “society” do it?    And how would it do it?   Businesses can do it for themselves.    

Let's not get too far off topic here.

Thanks.