Rays decline Morton option

Sports Guy

The Rays have declined the 15M option on Morton.

I bring this up for a few reasons:

1) It gives you an idea of spending this winter.  Yea, the Rays are cheap but they are also smart and they must not think they can trade him for any value.

2) Those who think we can trade Cobb are probably dreaming unless the Orioles eat 75+% of his contract.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Rays have declined the 15M option on Morton.

I bring this up for a few reasons:

1) It gives you an idea of spending this winter.  Yea, the Rays are cheap but they are also smart and they must not think they can trade him for any value.

2) Those who think we can trade Cobb are probably dreaming unless the Orioles eat 75+% of his contract.

Yep, everyone is going to be in money saving mode because of lost revenues this past season and likely lost revenue next year (probably won't be full crowds in most places, especially at teh start of the season).

Free agents are going to be in for a rude awakening.

We'll probably see more arbitration non-tenders than usual too.

The lack of spending this offseason will probably be unprecedented, even compared to the years the owners colluded.   Probably a lot of one year contracts too, 

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep, everyone is going to be in money saving mode because of lost revenues this past season and likely lost revenue next year (probably won't be full crowds in most places, especially at teh start of the season).

The lack of spending this offseason will probably be unprecedented, even compared to the years the owners colluded.   Probably a lot of one year contracts too, 

Which just makes a lockout or strike more likely in 2022.

I think we will see a lot of arbitration guys sign for less before the rosters are set on Nov 20th.

Alberto is reported to be in line for an arbitration value that could be between 3m and 4M.  But the O's will not take the risk of paying that much.  They may offer him 2m and he may decide to take it because of the uncertain of the market.

Same with Nunez.

And the O's may sign them for the lower value not because they want to keep them but because at the lower cost they may be tradable.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep..which is why a team like the Os, who will probably be a lot more active in the next year or 2 in FA, should go after guys this offseason and get some “bargains”.

Nothing wrong with a signing a player a year early.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..which is why a team like the Os, who will probably be a lot more active in the next year or 2 in FA, should go after guys this offseason and get some “bargains”.

Nothing wrong with a signing a player a year early.

Who on the Fangraphs list do you think the O's should sign now with the intent of having them be a major part of the 2023 team?  Besides Stroman.  Most of the list is 31-year-olds projected to sign for 2/20 deals or less.

Compound the cashflow discount and 2021 injury rehab discount for whatever the outcomes will be on the likes of Giles, Paxton and Osuna.

I am jumping to the conclusion Paxton and Osuna's attempts to rehab will fail, but they do begin to disrupt their Opening Day 2022 availability if they don't have procedures I suspect they very likely need soon.

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who on the Fangraphs list do you think the O's should sign now with the intent of having them be a major part of the 2023 team?  Besides Stroman.  Most of the list is 31-year-olds projected to sign for 2/20 deals or less.

Stroman is the main one. I think adding a quality starter for a “bargain price” is worth it.  

I don’t really like free agency.  It’s usually a losers proposition but sometimes an opportunity presents itself that is worth it.

I feel one could be there, especially for a team that doesn’t like to spend the huge money in free agency.  Take advantage of a good deal when it’s there.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel one could be there, especially for a team that doesn’t like to spend the huge money in free agency.  Take advantage of a good deal when it’s there.

This is 100% true. All it takes is ownership that's willing to see past the short term and accept some near term financial risk.

And we have owners who are probably about to sell, so it's just not going to happen. Another missed opportunity, IMO, but in this case, probably completely reasonable.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Which just makes a lockout or strike more likely in 2022.

Or, players will not want to lose another big chunk of their annual salary after a short season in 2020 and possibly a short season in 2021.