Vavra on move to CF

Sports Guy

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2020/11/vavra-learning-on-the-fly-in-new-position.html

Im a fan of Hays but the lack of CF prospects and the injury history of Hays puts the future of this position in real doubt.  It will be interesting to see how he handles it.  Vavra could move quickly if he shows he can handle the position and, of course, he hits.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Interesting. I know nothing about Vavra, And we can’t have too many centerfielders, but I wonder what, if anything, this means for Mullins?

Mullins probably isn't on the radar for anyone.  I know he's not on the radar for SG.  He's a 4th outfielder.

We're obviously going to get into his sample size for 2020 because that's what we do around here.  He hit .271, which was respectable and a .315 on base percentage which is not good.  We also need to factor in that a fair amount of his hits were bunts.  And is that sustainable?  I'm assuming not.  It's not a plan for moving him forward.

Vavra could be a good get if he can hit and play the position, I have no faith in Hays.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'm cool with a move to the OF, but I'm not sure what it means to move a guy off of a position of need for our team. Hints of a utility profile, to me, rather than an every day guy.

Aren't we kinda thick with middle infielders at his level of development?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would love to see this kid succeed but his home road splits and that of his teammates suggest that his numbers were inflated in low A by a very conducive park for offense.

Definitely a valid concern.  However, inflated stats doesn’t mean he can’t hit.  But it’s certainly fair to wonder how much he can hit.

Either way, I like the idea of trying to use some of this MI depth in other key positions.  It’s certainly worth a try.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would love to see this kid succeed but his home road splits and that of his teammates suggest that his numbers were inflated in low A by a very conducive park for offense.

His OBP has been consistently high regardless of where he plays.

52 minutes ago, Philip said:

Interesting. I know nothing about Vavra, And we can’t have too many centerfielders, but I wonder what, if anything, this means for Mullins?

It means what it has always meant w/r/t Mullins..he is a borderline ML player and certainly isn’t someone you believe in as a starter or someone who should get significant playing time.

I like Mullins vs right-handed pitching.  I think bunting and stealing are  good parts of his game.  I like Hays and his potential but he seems injury prone.   

Vavra's reputation is not being a very good defensive 2B.   I think Elias believes playing CF will improve his ability to make the major league.....with the O's or someone else.   Elias seems sensible about putting minor leaguers in spots that help them make the majors.   He did it with Mountcastle and now it sounds like he is doing it with Vavra.

14 minutes ago, owknows said:

Aren't we kinda thick with middle infielders at his level of development?

Are we? I figured he was ahead of all of the guys I personally think about (e.g., Westburg, Henderson, Hernaiz, Servideo, Mayo, Ortiz, etc.). I could be wrong though.

And to be honest, it's clear we don't have a bunch of CFers knocking on the door, and the one we do have has a lot of injury history, so he's moving from one need to another in hopes (perhaps) of being a potential help at either. That doesn't mean that it's certain he's only got a utility profile.

From MLB.com Prospect Rankings 2020:

he only reason Vavra spent all year in Asheville, other than giving him the chance to compete in a playoff push, was to work on his defense. He’s played both shortstop and second base, the latter being his best spot for him to be a big league regular in one position, and he could start seeing time at third in 2020. Even if he doesn’t settle into one position, he could easily be an offensive-minded utility type who hits his way into the lineup every day.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/terrin-vavra-679631

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mullins probably isn't on the radar for anyone.  I know he's not on the radar for SG.  He's a 4th outfielder.

We're obviously going to get into his sample size for 2020 because that's what we do around here.  He hit .271, which was respectable and a .315 on base percentage which is not good.  We also need to factor in that a fair amount of his hits were bunts.  And is that sustainable?  I'm assuming not.  It's not a plan for moving him forward.

Vavra could be a good get if he can hit and play the position, I have no faith in Hays.

I agree Mullins is probably a fourth OF/platoon player, but I’m not quite as down on him as you.  10-20 years ago .315 was a bad OBP, but last year league average was .319, so .315 is slightly below average but not awful by today’s standards.    I agree with you that his bunt success rate is probably unsustainable (9 of his 38 hits were bunts and he hit .600 on bunt attempts).    Still, he is very skilled at it and I expect it will always be a significant part of his game.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm cool with a move to the OF, but I'm not sure what it means to move a guy off of a position of need for our team. Hints of a utility profile, to me, rather than an every day guy.

As my scouting report eluded, few think he can stick on the grass as an everyday player due to his defensive shortcoming, particularly the arm. If he can play center field affectively, his value goes up because the bat has the potential to play well.