Vavra on move to CF

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Might not have been the best to the left and right, but could he pick it?  

Boog Powell never won a gold glove. But he posted a better fielding percentage than the eventual 1B Gold Glove winner on several occasions, and was never considered a defensive liability. His scoop is considered to be a significant contributor to many of the GG's won by Robinson, Belanger, and Johnson, Aparicio and Grich

https://gatorrick15.wixsite.com/bmoresportsnest/boog-powell

I noticed a fair bit of 4-OF defensive alignments in the postseason and imagine more of that is coming.  I think Vavra's getting groomed to flex between the two for Marwin/Zobrist type things.   Hopefully some fancy SS, Gunnar, Westburg and Mountcastle rake enough as primary infielders not to bounce around as much, though I guess Vavra competitive with Westburg for 2B, and of course they both have first string opportunities if no fancy SS materializes.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If he doesn't have enough arm for 2B, how does he have enough arm for CF?

An infield arm and outfield arm can be two different things. Infield arms take quick release while the outfield throwing motion typically allows the outfield to wind up a bit. It's how Mountcastle's arm becomes playable in left field after being awful on the grass.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Mountcastle looked decent in LF last year and I was very vocal about his defensive shortcomings.  He's not a bad athlete.  I'm not sure why you think he's not going to succeed anywhere except first.

Do you remember that play where he was chasing down a ball in foul territory and he just stopped and let it drop? I remember that Palmer just savaged him afterwards.

And I remember multiple throws That were weak or inaccurate or both. His left-field stats were actually not bad at baseball savant, he actually had better results in left than at first, but he sure didn’t look good when I was watching, and I watched a lot.

He may turn out fine, and that would be great, but the onus is on him.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

An infield arm and outfield arm can be two different things. Infield arms take quick release while the outfield throwing motion typically allows the outfield to wind up a bit. It's how Mountcastle's arm becomes playable in left field after being awful on the grass.

I always thought the expression was “on the dirt” when it came to infielders. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Do you remember that play where he was chasing down a ball in foul territory and he just stopped and let it drop? I remember that Palmer just savaged him afterwards.

And I remember multiple throws That were weak or inaccurate or both. His left-field stats were actually not bad at baseball savant, he actually had better results in left than at first, but he sure didn’t look good when I was watching, and I watched a lot.

He may turn out fine, and that would be great, but the onus is on him.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Although I appreciate the larger point, it’s pretty obvious that Mountcastle is not going to succeed anywhere except possibly first base. I hope that you are correct and that is where he ends up. It was infuriating to watch Trumbo lumbering  around right field like a kid lost at the mall.

How do you reconcile these two comments?

Change of heart in the last two hours?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Boog Powell never won a gold glove. But he posted a better fielding percentage than the eventual 1B Gold Glove winner on several occasions, and was never considered a defensive liability. His scoop is considered to be a significant contributor to many of the GG's won by Robinson, Belanger, and Johnson, Aparicio and Grich

https://gatorrick15.wixsite.com/bmoresportsnest/boog-powell

The modern metrics have him at -11 Rtot over 16 seasons, so basically average.    That squares pretty well with my recollection.    Not rangy, but decent hands.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The modern metrics have him at -11 Rtot over 16 seasons, so basically average.    That squares pretty well with my recollection.    Not rangy, but decent hands.    

I don't think we disagree.

Would have never considered him rangey...  He looked like a refrigerator with arms and legs when I watched him as a kid..  But he fielded what he got to... and he was a hoover for some hurried and bouncey throws from some cannon arms.

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, @Philip, which is it?  He may turn out fine or he's not going to succeed?

His defense has always been questioned. I have also always said that I hope he succeeds, and I have always said that it will be difficult to find a Position where his defense is not a liability. That hasn’t changed. I don’t think I am walking back anything.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

His other post said that he didn’t think he looked good in the OF and that he watched him a lot. So it doesn’t appear that he’s doing a 180 or anything 

On one hand he says that he obviously won't succeed in left field.  On the other hand he says he may turn out fine (in left field).

So while it isn't a 180 they are contradictory statements.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

On one hand he says that he obviously won't succeed in left field.  On the other hand he says he may turn out fine (in left field).

So while it isn't a 180 they are contradictory statements.

I propose 2 days of bickering over the definition of the word "may".

• Haha 2