Sanchez signs for 1 million

HowAboutThat

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I think Ruiz comes back for the first hack at 3rd base.  With Sanchez in the fold now, I think Elias will choose one of Valaika and Alberto to be a platoon between 2B and 3B to spell Sanchez and Ruiz, probably which ever one will sign for cheaper.  I am fine with this.

I'd rather give Valaika a chance at 3B everyday over Ruiz. Valaika showed enough with fairly every day PAs for the first time that I'd be willing to see what he does. I'm pretty done with Ruiz.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I second CoC's question here. Additionally, I think the assumption that the going rate for no-hit MIF with "GG-level" defense is directly analogous to the going rate (and availability) for "GG-level" catchers.

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Severino is not a gold glove anything. He’s terrible. He can hit a little bit, but we need somebody with good defense for our catcher. I would happily pay $1 million for a good defensive catcher who could not hit. Severino is a bad defensive catcher who hits ok

Just now, Philip said:

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Severino is not a gold glove anything. He’s terrible. He can hit a little bit, but we need somebody with good defense for our catcher. I would happily pay $1 million for a good defensive catcher who could not hit. Severino is a bad defensive catcher who hits ok

Sorry, I meant to say I don't agree with your assumption that the going rates are comparable. 

The suggestion/assumption that the team should have been able to get a "GG defense" catcher for $1M because they were able to get a "GG defense" MIF for that seems suspicious to me.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd rather give Valaika a chance at 3B everyday over Ruiz. Valaika showed enough with fairly every day PAs for the first time that I'd be willing to see what he does. I'm pretty done with Ruiz.

Valaika is better at 2B than 3B.   I think  Elias will continue to look for at 3B upgrade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Sorry, I meant to say I don't agree with your assumption that the going rates are comparable. 

The suggestion/assumption that the team should have been able to get a "GG defense" catcher for $1M because they were able to get a "GG defense" MIF for that seems suspicious to me.

Oh, I did not mean to suggest that we could get an elite defender for $1 million, but I do think we can get a better defender than Severino is, for less than he is getting. His defense is bad, it appears that he’s being paid for his office, and I think that is a poor purchase.