How far is Baumann behind Kremer in development?

wildcard

Dean Kremer enters ST with a rotation spot.  Its his to lose.  He pitched  84 innings is AA with an ERA of 2.98.  He had 4 starts in AAA where he had an ERA over 8.00.  That got him time at the alternate site and a call up for 4 starts in the majors.

Micheal Baumann pitched 70 innings at AA to an ERA of 2.31.  He spent last season at the alternate site.   If he is healthy in ST,   can he win a rotation spot out of ST?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No. If he's healthy he wins a rotation spot in AAA and a call-up after we get another year of control. He's exactly the type you hold back for a couple of months to gain extra control.

With the minor league season not starting until May this year, I wonder if service time games will be different.

Obviously he can still pitch in minor-league spring training but it is going to be weird for players who have a full Major League Spring Training and then a full month of minor league spring training. 

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With the minor league season not starting until May this season, I wonder if service time games will be different at all this year.

Have they announced that for sure? I saw they said the season would be delayed for AA and A and that spring training would not be until major league and AAA players had left (doesn't make a ton of sense but ok).

20 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No. If he's healthy he wins a rotation spot in AAA and a call-up after we get another year of control. He's exactly the type you hold back for a couple of months to gain extra control.

Yeah, I think we’ll see his major league debut in 2021, but no way they’re going to give him a full year of service time.    And even forgetting service time issues, I think it would be prudent to give him some time in AAA.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Have they announced that for sure? I saw they said the season would be delayed for AA and A and that spring training would not be until major league and AAA players had left (doesn't make a ton of sense but ok).

You're right, it is just AA and A that has been announced as delayed. I guess Adley Rutschman will be the only one getting himself an extra long spring training, since they want him to start at AA.

Hoping for the health to make it a fun making the team can to kick by St. Patrick's Day.

It'll take a long time to see how teams ultimately regard 2020.   Most of the Bowie reports were good - Glass Half Full you could say that was his AAA season.  Or that it was nothing.

He is old, though.

He hits me as the kind of player clubs might let make OD rosters as a sop for upcoming negotiations (see how that talented Michael Baumann earned a rotation job - he never even pitched a AAA game!)

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I think we’ll see his major league debut in 2021, but no way they’re going to give him a full year of service time.    And even forgetting service time issues, I think it would be prudent to give him some time in AAA.

Not that I disagree re: what is prudent, but there's a non-zero chance that the two best pitchers in the organization right now are Rodriguez and Baumann. There will be hand-wringing when they're held back. It might be best to hide them from the ML camp just so it's not apparent to the world that they're better than 70% of the guys on the ML staff.

AR too, for that matter.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Good call.   So if Baumann does well  in 4 starts at AAA, Elias will want  him to get called up.   What does that tell us about the veteran pitcher that he will sign.  The guy will be cheap and can be a reliever as well as a starter.

Sound right?

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Not that I disagree re: what is prudent, but there's a non-zero chance that the two best pitchers in the organization right now are Rodriguez and Baumann. There will be hand-wringing when they're held back. It might be best to hide them from the ML camp just so it's not apparent to the world that they're better than 70% of the guys on the ML staff.

AR too, for that matter.

From what I read about Rodriguez’s performance at the alternate site, he is not ready for the majors, full stop.   Per Tony:

“It’s tough to put too much emphasis on the auxiliary camp, but he had his struggles at times against the advanced hitters. Still showed the plus stuff with a 94-96 MPH fastball, power curve and solid change but showed more control than command this summer. Reportedly didn’t get a lot of swings and misses in the strike zone but may have been because he was too much in the middle of the plate. Again, it was huge jump to face the advanced hitters he faced this summer so nothing to be too concerned over, but it might have nicer to see the raw stuff work a bit better at times.”

AR is a different story.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dean Kremer enters ST with a rotation spot.  Its his to lose.  He pitched  84 innings is AA with an ERA of 2.98.  He had 4 starts in AAA where he had an ERA over 8.00.  That got him time at the alternate site and a call up for 4 starts in the majors.

Micheal Baumann pitched 70 innings at AA to an ERA of 2.31.  He spent last season at the alternate site.   If he is healthy in ST,   can he win a rotation spot out of ST?

There’s room. Means Cobb Akin Kremer Baumann

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Good call.   So if Baumann does well  in 4 starts at AAA, Elias will want  him to get called up.   What does that tell us about the veteran pitcher that he will sign.  The guy will be cheap and can be a reliever as well as a starter.

Sound right?

Mike shouldn’t sign another pitcher. We have plenty of guys who should be getting big league reps. I listed five, but Lowther and Zimmerman need reps, plus Lopez(for some reason) and I’m sure I’m omitting a couple strong possibilities. Even the guys who start at Norfolk are knocking hard on the door.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Mike shouldn’t sign another pitcher. We have plenty of guys who should be getting big league reps. I listed five, but Lowther and Zimmerman need reps, plus Lopez(for some reason) and I’m sure I’m omitting a couple strong possibilities. Even the guys who start at Norfolk are knocking hard on the door.

I don't know about that.    Cobb may have his annual blister problem.    Baumann, Lowther, Wells and Zimmerman probably need to begin the season at AAA.  Finding a starter who is better than Lopez and who can also move to pen when younger pitchers are ready is a better plan IMO.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know about that.    Cobb may have his annual blister problem.    Baumann, Lowther, Wells and Zimmerman probably need to begin the season at AAA.  Finding a starter who is better than Lopez and who can also move to pen when younger pitchers are ready is a better plan IMO.

I’m fine signing another pitcher or two.    There’s always attrition.   

• Upvote 2