Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Tony isn't a huge fan of Diaz. I think he's part of the reason you and I disagree. I have hope for him, but pretty low confidence.

Tony doesn’t but plenty of others do.

But Diaz is an issue because of his health, no doubt about that.  

But it’s more of an overall thing.  The team has drafted a lot of OF talent.  They have drafted a lot of MI talent, so of which will end up in the OF.  

The depth is there.  

Just now, LookinUp said:

So we're back to risk tolerances. What you think is smart is not what I think is smart.

Funny thing about all of this is if Elias trades Santander tomorrow, I'll trust that he knows better. However, with the information I have now, I'll stick with the old bird in the hand is worth two in the bush mantra.

And you won't win in the AL East.

The O's have to take risks and have some of those risks pan out.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony doesn’t but plenty of others do.

But Diaz is an issue because of his health, no doubt about that.  

But it’s more of an overall thing.  The team has drafted a lot of OF talent.  They have drafted a lot of MI talent, so of which will end up in the OF.  

The depth is there.  

I think this is a good argument. I'm not sold that Stowers/Haskin/Diaz/Stewart/Kjerstad are the future. But depth matters and improves the odds for sure.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you won't win in the AL East.

The O's have to take risks and have some of those risks pan out.

You can buy yourself out of any problem with personnel. If I had any confidence that the O's would do that if they created a hole, I'd feel better.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He may have been a core player in the clubhouse.  I don’t doubt that.  But he was worth about 5 WAR total for those 3 seasons.  He was a very valuable role player whose off the field presence was important for the players but the team didn’t lose much when he left either and that’s coming from someone who would put Markakis in his top 5 favorite Os players ever and probably top 3.  

He wasn’t a core player anymore. 

Right field has been a mess since Markakis left.  The team lost a lot when he left.  Santander is just beginning to improve that.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is 100% something you think.  That is not a fact.

Exactly right.  Wildcard is shocked that Mountcastle is the LFer this year, despite every single thing over the past year or so saying the Os view him as a LFer for the time being.  Maybe not for the long term but they certainly feel that way now and if he shows well there, they may end up keeping him there.

Either way, it’s certainly something WC is manufacturing in his mind.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think this is a good argument. I'm not sold that Stowers/Haskin/Diaz/Stewart/Kjerstad are the future. But depth matters and improves the odds for sure.

But yet you seem to be sold that Santander is the future...despite his career telling you otherwise.  

That’s the logic that makes no sense.  A guy who hasn’t even played 100 games in any season is “part of the future”.  I don’t get that at all.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Right field has been a mess since Markakis left.  The team lost a lot when he left.  Santander is just beginning to improve that.

It hasn’t been a mess because Nick left.  It’s been a mess because the organization was garbage at doing things smartly.

BtW, in the 6 seasons since he has been gone, Nick has been worth 5.8 WAR.  If that isn’t production you can replace, you have no business having a job in baseball.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly right.  Wildcard is shocked that Mountcastle is the LFer this year, despite every single thing over the past year or so saying the Os view him as a LFer the time being.  Maybe not for the long term but they certainly feel that way now and if he shows well there, they may end up keeping him there.

Very small sample size and probably useless data set but he provided a lot more value when he was in left last season.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is 100% something you think.  That is not a fact.

As for Santander, either he pans out and as a Super 2 makes huge bank in arbitration or he doesn't pan out and becomes a non-tender candidate because he's a super 2.

Look at what happened to Schoop.

Schoop was not worth the money he was scheduled to get on a losing team.  The team was on its way down.

Hopefully Santander in on a team headed up.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly right.  Wildcard is shocked that Mountcastle is the LFer this year, despite every single thing over the past year or so saying the Os view him as a LFer the time being.  Maybe not for the long term but they certainly feel that way now and if he shows well there, they may end up keeping him there.

You may be right.  We will see how it plays out on the field.   

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You may be right.  We will see how it plays out on the field.   

There is no may be right.  It’s a fact that this is what they are doing right now.  Unless Mancini can’t play this year or something like that, Mountcastle is your LFer.

I find it interesting that you like to read between the lines on everything the manager and the organization say (like say Mullins for example) but you choose to ignore what they are doing and saying for Mountcastle.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But yet you seem to be sold that Santander is the future...despite his career telling you otherwise.  

That’s the logic that makes no sense.  A guy who hasn’t even played 100 games in any season is “part of the future”.  I don’t get that at all.

Now who's creating the straw man?

I believe that Santander can be a valuable contributor on a competitive Orioles team during his team control. That doesn't mean that I think he "is the future." 

You know he played a lot of games in 2019, minors and majors.