MLB Pipeline Top 100 list released

MurphDogg

The usual suspects are ranked, near where they are typically ranked. With the exception of Adley, MLB Pipeline has our guys ranked lower than Baseball America does. I put the Baseball America ranks in parentheses. I also included Keith Law's rankings in brackets, which was also released today.

2. Rutschman (2) [6]

27. Rodriguez (22) [55]

69. Kjerstad (62) [85]

70. Hall (59) [49]

77. Mountcastle (63) [NR]

Biggest outlier that jumped out to me from this list is putting Torkelson at #3. That is the highest I have seen him on any of these lists and seems awfully high for someone who is all-bat.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have to love KLaw's desire for hot takes.  I'm curious as to why he has Rutschman 6th but not curious enough to support the Athletic.

He has Mackenzie Gore at #2 and Cristian Pache at #3, which deviates from the consensus. He has Julio Rodriguez at #24, who BA had at #3 and MLB Pipeline has at #5. He certainly marches to the beat of his own drum.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He has Mackenzie Gore at #2 and Cristian Pache at #3, which deviates from the consensus. He has Julio Rodriguez at #24, who BA had at #3 and MLB Pipeline has at #5. He certainly marches to the beat of his own drum.

Yep, like when he had Heim ranked over Bundy.

He does it to create interest.

10 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

How can there be ANY legitimate rankings of prospects this year after no minor leagues last year?  It's a real "shot in the dark".  More so than usual.

Some teams disclosed reports on how players performed at their camps, and some didn't.  A lot of projection is taking place in these rankings, and the writers are issuing quite a few disclaimers even on an individual prospect level.  

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He's got a bug for dissing the Orioles at every turn.  Gotta admit, as surprised I was to see AR outside the top 5, he's got Hall ranked above the consensus which surprised me more.  And he wouldn't even rank Mountcastle.  

12 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

How can there be ANY legitimate rankings of prospects this year after no minor leagues last year?  It's a real "shot in the dark".  More so than usual.

Agreed.  I did listen to a podcast yesterday where the evaluators had Statcast data on Gunnar Henderson from both the Bowie alternate site and Fall instructs.    And they evaluated him very highly (I think they ranked him 73 or 76.). If you want to hear that, there’s a link in the Minor League forum (credit to OrioleDog for that).

2 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He's got a bug for dissing the Orioles at every turn.  Gotta admit, as surprised I was to see AR outside the top 5, he's got Hall ranked above the consensus which surprised me more.  And he wouldn't even rank Mountcastle.  

I can see not ranking Miountcastle.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.  I did listen to a podcast yesterday where the evaluators had Statcast data on Gunnar Henderson from both the Bowie alternate site and Fall instructs.    And they evaluated him very highly (I think they ranked him 73 or 76.). If you want to hear that, there’s a link in the Minor League forum (credit to OrioleDog for that).

That was for fantasy so they are not looking for the same things.