Arenado traded to Cards.

bpilktree

I'm seeing $50 million in some of the Google results, but who's to say what's what if a good prospect or three is part of the return?   I think for PR purposes the Rockies will be getting something.

Arenado's availability I guess helps explain why Bryant, Turner and then maybe Seager, Franco down position have been hanging around.   Maybe 3B week follows SS week now.

I wonder what Trevor Story is telling his agent tonight; I was sure 2022 Rockies wouldn't have both Arenado and Story for $50M+ combined, but their Story '22 odds up now if he is into the 1-team thing and doesn't mind about the losing.   The other fork could be Story, Marquez out of town soon too.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Paying $50m for him to go away. Thats kind of an unusual trade. I guess they aren't optimistic about their chances of winning the next 5 years. 

Naw, the Josh Hamilton trade was paying money for someone to go away.  I think they will get some actual players back for Arenado.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, the Josh Hamilton trade was paying money for someone to go away.  I think they will get some actual players back for Arenado.

Oh, I agree.   This deal is not about whether Arenado can play well enough to earn his contract.   It’s about the Rockies biting off more than they could chew.    They will get a solid package back after eating $50 mm.

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Its good to be the second buyer.   It was Luhnow's main move for those best Astros teams who never won a free agent more extravagant than Reddick or Brantley.

They did retain Verlander after he personally experienced some proof of their concept.

Unless you're the Mets and inexplicably overpay for Cano.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless you're the Mets and inexplicably overpay for Cano.

Gotta fix that bullpen and get Jacob deGrom some Wins.   Edwin Diaz pitches 8 good innings some October and it'll ease the Kelenic sting some.

I am rooting for Bauer/Mets to use a second $30M+ salary slot, and maybe ding Lindor retention chances.   Also it'd just be fun to have him and Cole in NYC the next few years.

I'd be happy to take their Betances or Familia in the style of Adam Ottavino if it helped them with their, ummmm, preference to remain under the Competitive Balance Tax threshold.

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Gotta fix that bullpen and get Jacob deGrom some Wins.   Edwin Diaz pitches 8 good innings some October and it'll ease the Kelenic sting some.

I am rooting for Bauer/Mets to use a second $30M+ salary slot, and maybe ding Lindor retention chances.   Also it'd just be fun to have him and Cole in NYC the next few years.

I'd be happy to take their Betances or Familia in the style of Adam Ottavino if it helped them with their, ummmm, preference to remain under the Competitive Balance Tax threshold.

I'm not sure Cohen is as eager to spend today as he was last week.

He's had a bad week.

Haven't looked at the Manny-Arenado comparison in a couple years, but seems an okay time to check back.   2020 abbreviated another MVP vote getting Machado season.

Seeing the Arenado good hitter/great fielder stuff reminded me of Cal on a whole other level --nearly double Arenado through Age-29 already, and about to have his 1991.

Machado down by 7 WAR to Cal through Age-27 season, with covid maybe costing him staying within just a few wins.

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphsw.aspx?players=9777,11493,1010978&wg=2