Farm System Rankings Baseball America #7 and Keith Law #18

Roll Tide

Meoli:

As a result, the Orioles have five consensus Top 100 prospects in catcher Adley Rutschman, right-hander Grayson Rodriguez, left-hander DL Hall, first baseman/outfielder Ryan Mountcastle and outfielder Heston Kjerstad. How high in the Top 100 they are, and how the players behind them stack up, seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Another organizational rankings list released Wednesday at The Athletic had the Orioles’ farm system ranked 18th, though it’s likely that will be the Orioles’ lowest placement in an organization ranking this winter.

(Disclosure: I do the Orioles’ top 30 prospect rankings for Baseball America, but am not involved in the organizational rankings process.)

Interesting 

As time goes on, the Orioles’ organizational rankings should climb. They’re going to have the fifth pick in this year’s draft, will likely graduate only Mountcastle out of their top prospects and are expecting big showings in 2021 on the farm from high picks such as infielders Gunnar Henderson and Jordan Westburg, among others.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-playoff-odds-future-20210211-ydur4sopcbecfas36yyulgts4u-story.html

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

KLaw knows his audience.  He knows Baltimore fans react to perceived slights more than praise.

Keith thinks that Baseball America is delusional.

Tom C: The team hate accusations have been hilarious as usual. Take the Orioles fans – I looked it up, the team has made the playoffs 3 times this century. They have 6 total winning seasons. What have they been so happy about that they get mad because your assessment doesn’t match other reviews?
Keith Law: Also, the expectation that a team that has completely ignored international scouting – you know, where the best player in the NL came from, where the #1 and #3 prospects on my top 100 came from as well as the guys at 16 and 19 and 20 and 24 and 25 and 25 – for a decade, and that has zero international prospects of their own signing in their top 20, would have a top ten system is delusional.

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you have to have highly ranked international prospects to have a system rated highly?  That seems dumb to me.

But at least we are starting to see where he gets his prospect rankings and how he comes up with them.

I see his logic, and accept it. It’s not some personal vendetta against Baltimore, but it’s clear he does penalize our system and his reason, to me, is an acceptable one. Glad that it should be invalid in a few years.    

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

KLaw knows his audience.  He knows Baltimore fans react to perceived slights more than praise.

Yeah, his job is to get reactions, and he's definitely doing that.  Still, him calling others delusional for putting the O's in the top 10 is over the top and unprofessional, imo.  The O's will prove him wrong, and we might take that opportunity to rub it in his face.  :cool:  

10 minutes ago, joelala said:

I see his logic, and accept it. It’s not some personal vendetta against Baltimore, but it’s clear he does penalize our system and his reason, to me, is an acceptable one. Glad that it should be invalid in a few years.    

Yep.  He is saying that the Intl talent is high upside talent and if you don’t have that, your system can’t be rated highly.

I get that and at least it’s a reason.  That being said, if you have top domestic talent, that’s ok too. 

• Upvote 1

Logically, it is possible to have a top system without international prospects; talent is talent no matter where it comes from.  However, I think his point is that since we have been solely relying on the draft for so long we simply are playing against a stacked deck as it relates to other teams.  Thus, we have to have a higher hit rate on our prospects since we have no shot at high end talent internationally, which is a recipe for a lack of depth.  I don't know if he's right for this year or not, but I believe he is saying that we are pulling from a shallower pool so our depth just isn't there, not that he is simply penalizing us for what he believes is an organizational failure and is slapping us on the wrist for it.

27 minutes ago, joelala said:

So .... Because our system is full of quality National talent and a lesser amount of International makes it lower ranked? What a stupid take by Mr. Law. Talent is talent and we can all agree that the Orioles have started to implement the International market into their game plan under what is essentially new ownership and decision making with Peter Angelos out of the picture.

I don't care that

Take the Orioles fans – I looked it up, the team has made the playoffs 3 times this century. They have 6 total winning seasons. What have they been so happy about that they get mad because your assessment doesn’t match other reviews?
Keith Law: Also, the expectation that a team that has completely ignored international scouting – you know, where the best player in the NL came from, where the #1 and #3 prospects on my top 100 came from as well as the guys at 16 and 19 and 20 and 24 and 25 and 25 – for a decade

These things don't mean that the players are any less talent the players in others systems. You really need to judge the Orioles and their system on where it stands now and through the rebuild. The prior stuff means nothing

Mr. Law, I am not reading your stupid article! I don't care if you are trying to get readers, responses, or clearly have a vendetta against the Baltimore Orioles! Your article

Your idiotic approach is a reason for me to decide not to buy the Athletic's content! Hopefully they understand the repercussions and lost of credibility due to the spooge you are writing!

3 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Logically, it is possible to have a top system without international prospects; talent is talent no matter where it comes from.  However, I think his point is that since we have been solely relying on the draft for so long we simply are playing against a stacked deck as it relates to other teams.  Thus, we have to have a higher hit rate on our prospects since we have no shot at high end talent internationally, which is a recipe for a lack of depth.  I don't know if he's right for this year or not, but I believe he is saying that we are pulling from a shallower pool so our depth just isn't there, not that he is simply penalizing us for what he believes is an organizational failure and is slapping us on the wrist for it.

Exactly all of this. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So .... Because our system is full of quality National talent and a lesser amount of International makes it lower ranked? What a stupid take by Mr. Law. Talent is talent and we can all agree that the Orioles have started to implement the International market into their game plan under what is essentially new ownership and decision making with Peter Angelos out of the picture.

I don't care that

These things don't mean that the players are any less talent the players in others systems.

See SG’s post above that I just quoted.