OF Derek Fisher DFA - Any Interest?

sportsfan8703

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=fisher001der

Former 1st rd pick and top 100 prospect. He came up through Houston’s system.  He was actually taken by Hou with the comp pick that we traded them for Bud Norris. He has an .899 OPS in AAA in 1000+ PA. He’s out of options. He’s always been on MLB teams with really good OF. So he’s never really gotten and extended look with everyday ABs. 

If we were to trade Santander or Mancini, then that would open up a full time spot for him to get everyday ABs. We could claim him now, use him as our 4th OF, and send Mullins to AAA for the start of 2021. Fisher potentially could be a backup CF. As for Mullins, I don’t see a problem with him logging everyday ABs in AAA until after the trade deadline this year. 

• Upvote 1

Always been a big Fisher fan.  I’m surprised he has never been able to put it together but injuries, being blocked, sporadic playing time, etc...have all been an issue for him.  He also just may not be good enough.

It wouldn’t surprise me though if someone picked him up, gave him a bunch of at bats and he thrived.  

Would easily take him over Mullins.

Definitely a winner, won 5 titles with the Lakers. Not sure we can pry him away from the LA Sparks though. He seems to be building something there.

In all seriousness, I am not that interested in him as a fourth outfielder. He only has 91 innings played in center. He is more of a break glass in case of emergency centerfielder, not a late inning defensive upgrade which is what you want from a 4th outfielder. If a spot were to open up to give him a shot for fulltime at-bats, that would be different, but unless Santander is traded, I don't see him as a fit.

Makes a lot of sense for the Marlins though.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Definitely a winner, won 5 titles with the Lakers. Not sure we can pry him away from the LA Sparks though. He seems to be building something there.

In all seriousness, I am not that interested in him as a fourth outfielder. He only has 91 innings played in center. He is more of a break glass in case of emergency centerfielder, not a late inning defensive upgrade which is what you want from a 4th outfielder. 

I would rather have that be my 5th OFer.  

• Upvote 1

Minor league contract and an invite to ST.

He is out of options.   He is cheap with only 2 years of service time.

Elias may have the edge on signing him because he drafted him out of college.

All his AAA time has been in the PCL.  I'd like to see what he can do playing everyday in the International league.   

Mancini gets traded at the deadline.  Mountcastle moves to 1B.  That opens left field for Diaz or Fisher for LF/DH.  He may be better than Stewart.  At any rate, good organizational depth add.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Don't be fooled by his AAA stats - they were in the PCL.  At 27, I don't see much point for a rebuilding team like the O's going for him - though he might or might not have a good few years in the majors.  

The idea that we are a rebuilding team who doesn’t care about winning is the exact reason why you take a chance.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that we are a rebuilding team who doesn’t care about winning is the exact reason why you take a chance.

At our stage, it makes very little sense to try out a 27 year old prospect.  We have better prospects who are younger.  

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Minor league contract and an invite to ST.

He is out of options.   He is cheap with only 2 years of service time.

Elias may have the edge on signing him because he drafted him out of college.

All his AAA time has been in the PCL.  I'd like to see what he can do playing everyday in the International league.   

Mancini gets traded at the deadline.  Mountcastle moves to 1B.  That opens left field for Diaz or Fisher for LF/DH.  He may be better than Stewart.  At any rate, good organizational depth add.

No evidence he is a better hitter than Stewart. He has shown less at the Major League level and he has been decent at AAA but not great since 2017. Below average in 2018, above average in 2019.