Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe Franco is hoping a playoff contending team will swoop in before he signs or he's being subjected to the thorough Orioles' team physical. 

Franco needs to start practicing and playing If he wants to be ready for opening day.

I dunno man, if you're drunk on prom night and it's getting late you're not exactly going to be picky with who you're going home with. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's what I figure and if anything it's the O's dragging out the process. 

Eh, sometimes these things take a few days.  I wouldn't be reading too far into how long it's taking.  

I'm assuming he's been working out on his own and won't need that much time to ramp up.  He should be the OD 3rd base starter.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see Ruiz sticking on this team when Franco is signed. The Orioles are probably going to go with 14 pitchers which means only three subs outside of the starting 9.

Those three should be:
Backup catcher: Sisco
Utility infielder: Valaika (who can also fill in in corner outfield in a pinch)
Utility player 2: I'm going to go with Urias for now.

If Rio had more versatility I could see him sticking around, but he doesn't.

Thankfully they don't have to waste a spot on Davis. Since Davis stepped in the Ubaldo pot hole and hurt his back.

Do you have DJ as the DH?

Hays, Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins are 4 for 3 slots then. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, sometimes these things take a few days.  I wouldn't be reading too far into how long it's taking.  

I'm assuming he's been working out on his own and won't need that much time to ramp up.  He should be the OD 3rd base starter.

Perhaps the deal is contingent on the Orioles and Nats resolving the MASN dispute. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's weird they never really did this with Sisco even just to make him slightly more versatile. The hopes of him becoming a good defensive catcher are non-existent at this point. 

He played an inning at first in 2019. I'm sure he gets reps there and would be fine in a pinch. The bat doesn't play at first so I don't think it does much for his value.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Do you have DJ as the DH?

Hays, Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins are 4 for 3 slots then. 

Yes..

And you are right. Mullins then would be the extra player with Sisco and Valaika. Good catch. I even thought that through and missed that. :D

I don't think anything is dragging right now. Elias said just a few days ago nothing was on the horizon which meant he hadn't heard back most likely from Boros on their offer. After he said that, Franco probably was like, "I need to make a decision" and decided to go with the Orioles offer due to the fact it gives him the chance to play everyday and rebuild his value.

Boros then probably was working some performance bonuses in games played into the mix because he's Boros.

Now we're probably waiting on the medicals to get done before announcing.

In this COVID world, that's not as fast as it's been in the past.

I'm confident Franco will be the starting 3B come opening day, but may be a little rusty with his late start. 

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• September 2024 13-12 record 5-7 at home 8-5  on the road 4-5 vs. AL East 0-2 in one-run games 0-2 in extra innings Batting 4.32 runs per game was 5th in the AL .246 BA was 3rd .316  OBP was 4th .398 SLG was 4th .714 OPS was 3rd 1.20 HR/game was 4th .246/.327/.365 with RISP (248 PA, 211 AB, 52 H, 81 TOB, 77 TB) Pitching 3.85 ERA was 9th in the AL 4.12 runs allowed per game was 8th 1.24 HR/game was tied for 10th fewest 2.94 starters' ERA was 2nd 5.51 IP/Start was 2nd 5.31 bullpen ERA was worst in the AL 5 saves was tied for 10th  7 save opportunities  2 blown saves  Defense 8 unearned runs was tied for 6th fewest 0.52 -5.3 fangraphs defense  -6.7 UZR (-2.6 OF, -4.1 IF)  -8 OAA (-2 OF, -6 IF) +3  Rtot -1 Rdrs  Cumulative through September Batting 4.85 runs per game was 2nd in the AL .250 BA was 3rd .315  OBP was 4th .435 SLG was 1st .751 OPS was 2nd 1.45 HR/game was 2nd .251/.314/.428 with RISP (1490 PA, 1298 AB, 326 H, 465 TOB, .555 TB (.741 OPS with RISP was 9th in the AL) Pitching 3.94 ERA was 8th in the AL 4.31 runs allowed per game was 8th 1.08 HR/game was 4th lowest 3.77 starters' ERA was 4th 5.44 IP/Start was 3rd 4.22 bullpen ERA was 11th 46 saves was 3rd 67 save opportunities was 6th 21 blown saves was tied for 5th fewest Defense 67 unearned runs was 12th fewest in the AL 0.50 errors per game (81 errors) was 5th fewest -6.0  fangraphs defense was 10th best in the AL +6.7 UZR was 6th best in the AL (+=-1.7 OF, +8.4 IF) -9 OAA was 10th (+11 OF, -20 IF) -21 Rtot was 11th +1 Rdrs was 11th Conclusion:   The perception that the Orioles' offense was terrible for most of September was partially incorrect, because offense was down drastically around the league this month.   The whole AL averaged only 3.92 runs/game for the month, and the O's at 4.32 were substantially better than that.   If you remove the final week when the O's were operating on all cylinders, the O's still averaged 3.73 runs/game, which is bad but doesn't look nearly as bad when you realize how much offense was down generally in September.   The starting pitchers, on the other hand, were unbelievably good at 2.94 ERA (2nd best in the AL), while the bullpen was absolutely atrocious at 5.31 (worst).   Yet, the bullpen only blew 2 saves -- what they mostly did was let games we were already losing get out of hand, like the last game of the Yankees series where Burnes left the game losing 1-0 and then the bullpen coughed up 9 runs.   That happened a lot this month, and this season.  Finally, by most advanced measures, the defense was below average in September though neither the errors nor unearned runs were awful. Looking back at all of 2024, the team was 2nd in the AL in runs per game and tops in OPS+.   The offense was inconsistent at times, and not very good with RISP or at situational hitting, but bottom line is they scored more runs than every AL team but the Yankees.   The pitching overall was middle of the pack, but marked by a very good performance by the starting pitchers (3.77 ERA was 4th in the AL) and a very poor one by the bullpen (4.22 ERA was 11th).   They did not blow many saves (69% save rate was 3rd best in the AL), but let a lot of narrow deficits get out of hand.   The defense went downhill as the year went along, particularly in the infield, which was +2 OAA at the end of June but ended up -20 for the year.  As the O's head for the playoffs, I'm hoping to see the bats remain hot, but with better situational hitting, and I'll be crossing my fingers that the bullpen and defense do better in the postseason than they did the second half of 2024.
    • I'm guessing it's no problem and Dean will pitch. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it'd be malpractice for the O's to throw Suarez 6 IP yesterday if Kremer was unavailable for this series. 
    • Hi Malike! I'm glad to see on in the message board again! I've missed your presence in the game threads.
    • Suarez?  I would have been guessing between Kremer and Grayson if I didn't know the result was incredible. 🙂
    • Data point:  Sunset Wednesday in Baltimore is 6:46 PM, about 2 hours and 10 minutes after the scheduled start of the Orioles game.
    • Thanks, I figured the easiest way to address the question was just to see if he has done it in the past, and it looks as if he had. I'd be shocked if it would be an issue now when it wasn't last season.
  • Popular Contributors