McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

Hell, I would go so far as to say, during ST I would have him lead off some. Every AB in the Spring MLB curve is one less AB  in the MLB curve, when

it really counts.  ST is when a person can try things outside the box, not just talk about things,  when it really does not count anyway.  

Fair enough point.

And that being said, Hyde is stuck with Seve and Sisco, and is trying to find time and ABs for Wynns (who he obviously likes.) Adley THIS YEAR comes in a distant 4th...

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Fair enough point.

And that being said, Hyde is stuck with Seve and Sisco, and is trying to find time and ABs for Wynns (who he obviously likes.) Adley THIS YEAR comes in a distant 4th...

I wonder: If Severino and Sisco weren’t struggling as bad, would Hyde have played them as much to try and get them in a groove, or would he have given them more games off and have Rutschman in?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I will say this....we need to not get wrapped up in his ranking and look at him as a player.  I was hammered on here for my immediate take on Wieters.  

The thought was, how could the scouts be wrong?  I everyone says he is great.  Sometimes, the obvious gets missed and it got missed from Wieters.  He was never an athlete. He was always stiff with a poor swing (call it long, slow bat, whatever..it wasn’t good).

If Adley is missing fastballs because of a slow bat or something like that, I will immediately be concerned.  I have never seen him outside of some highlights, so I’m not saying that’s his issue but I agree with Tony that it is something to watch for as he faces tougher pitching.

He was and he wasn't. His catch and throw on a stolen base is what I judge catchers by now. Matt was SO quick, he had a unique move/transfer. Non-athletes can't do that.

But both his swings at the plate were so slow. Until, like was said, until he caught one. And it was perfection in motion.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So it's not a showcase?

How can it even be a showcase this season when no one can see anything?

Our scouts and enemy scouts see. Our manager and coaches see. And the managers and coaches on the other side see.

We fans (on TV) don't matter a wit. Whit?

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well at least we have our 1-2 pick from last year that not one of the baseball people have ever seen play baseball as a professional yet. Long way to go with both, but as I always say, special players do special things early on. 

Or they don't do special things, and they're not so special. It happens.

I don't mean to be be so negative on AR. To quote our newest player,  At the end of the day I expect AR to be much better than Wieters ever was. Not expect because clueless idiot on the internet feels entitled to it.... because of his amazing career at Oregon State.

He just has a way about him.

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

When I was 18 years old:

"Yeah, you know, um, I like lined up. And the guy like hiked the ball... and I like kicked it. And it like made it! I was like wow!"

:rolleyes:

Scott, with an avatar like that you must be in my generation. ;) And we didn't say "like" every four words back then, right? (But yeah, like, if you were, like, 18 now, it's like, a different story.)

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No panic at all...just pointing out that he hasn’t and isn’t doing anything that jumps off the page yet.

You mean to tell me, with all the hype he has and had going into the draft that you would t have expected more from him by now?

How many at bats has he had? 

Spring training is the SSS of SSS. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In don't think anyone is in panic, but how do you assess him against the good fastball in college where he was pitched around and walked most of the time? 

How would we know Witt Jr can handle the heat when all he faced was high school arms? Witt ripping a bomb in spring training may be evidence of his raw power. Doesn’t tell me how he will be vs elite arms.  

You know a hell of a lot more about scouting than me but if Adley can’t hit the heat that speaks volumes about the ineptitude of the experts. These people praised him as a superstar. All these scouts are wrong? 

We need some damn games for all these guys. Real ones, even if it’s against AA competition. 

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

Adley's played against the GCL, the NYPenn League and the Eastern League. Even if in limited ABs he should have ripped those leagues a new a-hole!

Sure if he wasn’t human. 

He needs to settle in and actually play everyday for an actual extended period of time. Then we can start to judge him.

From what I have seen he has a very good eye at the plate which in general can’t be taught. We know how good an athlete he is. All the skills are there.