McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes, and I agree that’s worth something.   I’d be disappointed if Rutschman needed 542 professional PA before he was ready for the majors, for that reason.   But you asked how long it took for Posey to reach the majors, so I answered.

I do think performance during those at bats matters.   The year after he was drafted, Posey started in A+ and posted a .967 OPS in 80 games there.  The Giants decided to jump him right to AAA and he OPS’d .902 there.   That’s what earned him his September call-up. He didn’t hit well in that brief exposure and so he spent 47 more games in the minors in 2010 to the tune of .995 OPS.    He really made a pretty irrebuttable case that he was ready.    

I think if Rutschman puts up similar numbers, I’d be pretty comfortable calling him up in June or July.    But if he’s at .750 OPS I’d be in no hurry to push him.   Of course it also depends on what he shows defensively, and how he’s looking at the plate regardless of what the numbers say.    But June/July is my hoped for timetable.    The lack of MiL games in April might push it back to July/August.    

I think it is foolish to get caught up in the raw counting stats when it comes to prospects.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is foolish to get caught up in the raw counting stats when it comes to prospects.

Those weren't counting stats, those were rate stats.  Unless you're only focusing on the plate appearance thing.

I get that you're impatient in wanting to see AR in Baltimore but I don't think we'll have to wait too much longer.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Those weren't counting stats, those were rate stats.  Unless you're only focusing on the plate appearance thing.

I get that you're impatient in wanting to see AR in Baltimore but I don't think we'll have to wait too much longer.

Sorry I was grouping on base average and slugging with them.  I don't think using raw stats to determine if someone in the minors is ready for promotion is sensible. 

As for how long we have to wait...I think he will be rookie eligible in 2022.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry I was grouping on base average and slugging with them.  I don't think using raw stats to determine if someone in the minors is ready for promotion is sensible. 

As for how long we have to wait...I think he will be rookie eligible in 2022.

Well, my post was very clear that stats weren’t the only thing I’d look at: “Of course  it also depends on what he shows defensively, and how he’s looking at the plate regardless of what the numbers say.”   But I do think stats often tell the story.    You just have to get behind the numbers to understand how meaningful they are in a given situation.   That’s easier for Mike Elias to do than for me.   

If Adley has a 750 opS in AA, while I agree that’s not great, I don’t see a logical reason to keep him down.  For me, I’m good with him being here as soon as you gain the service time.

It would be dumb not to steal that year but once you have it, I’m good with him being here.  I’m also good if you want him to get at bats in AA.  Either way, he should be here no later than Aug 1 unless he is hurt or sucking really bad.