McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd love to see the new collective bargain agreement be that you control a player your draft or sign until they are 26 years old if out of high school, and 27 years old out of college with unlimited options. It would be like the old days with players debuting at 19-years old. This way every players has an opportunity to become a free agent when they hit their prime years (27-31).

I’m sure this will be a key point of the next CBA.  Perhaps the biggest point. 

One issue is later draft now.  Of course there is no more half season A ball. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd love to see the new collective bargain agreement be that you control a player your draft or sign until they are 26 years old if out of high school, and 27 years old out of college with unlimited options. It would be like the old days with players debuting at 19-years old. This way every players has an opportunity to become a free agent when they hit their prime years (27-31).

Even if they followed a principle like that, I doubt the cutoff would be 26/27.    The vast majority of players today hit FA at 29-30.   The owners aren’t going to give up 3 years of control on average.   But the players won’t want to go to 28-29 or 29-30 because the best players (the ones who hit the majors at a very young age) will get screwed.  

I don’t think you’ll see unlimited options either, because that would allow teams to hoard talent.    

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Even if they followed a principle like that, I doubt the cutoff would be 26/27.    The vast majority of players today hit FA at 29-30.   The owners aren’t going to give up 3 years of control on average.   But the players won’t want to go to 28-29 or 29-30 because the best players (the ones who hit the majors at a very young age) will get screwed.  

I don’t think you’ll see unlimited options either, because that would allow teams to hoard talent.    

How about FA at 6 years of service time or age 29?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Promotions would come earlier for the better players so you wouldn't be losing that much control.  I don't think it matters a lot if marginal players become free agents after three years, those guys don't stay with teams for six years anyway.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If teams had control until a player was say 29 do you think Witt breaks camp with the Royals?

29?  I think he still gets sent down.  If it were 26 or 27?  Probably stays up.

In the current system, the only sensible decision was to send him down.  It would be dumb to not get the extra year for a team that isn’t going to contend.  Even if you were going to contend, I still may get that year but it becomes a much harder decision.  Lots of other factors come into play.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it could be how long you are in the organization.  For example, if you are drafted out of college, they have you for 7 years(combined MiL and ML time) before free agency.

For HS and Intl FA, it’s 10 years.

Something along those lines.