The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

10 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

It's not that I think either flavor of dWAR is useless, but I do not think either one should be used as the sole, indisputable measurement of players' skills.

Just once I'd like to read/hear someone say that they only use Total Zone or UZR or Statcast data as the sole, indisputable measure of a player's skills.  Just once.  Because I've never heard anyone say that, but at least once a day I see someone make a point of saying they don't do that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, connja said:

He's 35, has several years in a row of negative defensive value, played one game last season with zero PA, and hasn't posted an OPS comparable to that of the last couple years of Chance Sisco since 2017 (and that was .716). Why would we want him?

32 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Why would we want him?

Because he is a different, presumably warm body, than the several we have, ergo he must be better. I have to wait until Phillip passes as well, but WC has passed so that means there isn't even a SSS chance in Hedouble hockeystick that can be twisted (contorted??) into a plausible (delusional??) argument's in defense of his acquisition.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Because he is a different, presumably warm body, than the several we have, ergo he must be better. I have to wait until Phillip passes as well, but WC has passed so that means there isn't even a SSS chance in Hedouble hockeystick that can be twisted (contorted??) into a plausible (delusional??) argument's in defense of his acquisition.

Oh I pass too. I just think it’s so amazing that so many guys who used to be hot commodities are so blatantly yesterday’s news: Lucroy, Sanchez(pause for a “ha-ha”) Russell Martin, Chirinos, and the lesser guys like Suzuki. Posey is still around but I’m not interested in him, and the Giants won’t be, either, after this season.

We can’t find any GOOD catchers, but...

How does the song go?

I’m looking “for a better class of loser.”

• Haha 1

Posey is the 3rd guy in my dream offseason with a SS and a SP.  

I don't exactly want to sim 2021 because there's finally enough interesting stuff to see most days but baseball gets really fun again once/if the parties can figure out a CBA so 2022 can be played rather than negotiated.

Honestly, If I am Elias, based on what I have seen the last two seasons and this spring. I think I cut Severino and go into the season with Sisco and Wynns.  Severino is the 3rd highest paid player on the team (1.825 mil) so save a couple bucks.  We all know he's gone after this season, so I don't see a need to pay him this much if he's a place holder.  Sisco is making league min and his output hasn't been all that different than Severino.  However, I still think there could be some ceiling to Sisco, but we need to find out now.

Give Sisco the bulk of the ABs in April and May as catcher and see what he's got.  Make Austin Wynns your back up.  Wynns has always been serviceable as a back up in my opinion.  He's a +dWar catcher, and if he can OPS .650, good for him; its probably only 50 points lower than what Severino is going to give us.

If by May, Sisco flops, then we can keep an eye on the waiver wire, make a trade, or call up Adley.  Or, as we aren't winning a championship this year, if Sisco flakes, and you don't want to call up Adley, just go through the season using catcher as a glove position using Wynns and Ciuffo.  I would accept .600 OPSs from our catcher in exchance for stable catching defense. Again, in 2022, none of this will even be an issue with Adley here, but in the mean time, save the money by cutting Severino, give Sisco his last shot at proving he's an MLB player (maybe we get lucky and he finds an .800 OPS approach), and make a statement by putting Wynns on the roster to emphasize defense.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh I pass too. I just think it’s so amazing that so many guys who used to be hot commodities are so blatantly yesterday’s news: Lucroy, Sanchez(pause for a “ha-ha”) Russell Martin, Chirinos, and the lesser guys like Suzuki. Posey is still around but I’m not interested in him, and the Giants won’t be, either, after this season.

We can’t find any GOOD catchers, but...

How does the song go?

I’m looking “for a better class of loser.”

I think Matt Wieters is available.  ?

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I want to see Sisco play 4-5 times a week.  I don’t know if his bat will ever come around but this is the time to find it out.  Playing Severino does nothing for you both short and long term.

That’s what I’ve been saying the last two years. If we know Adley is the future why are t we seeing what we have now in Sisco. If he starts hitting with regular playing time, you can trade him when Adley is ready. Severino needs to be traded