Pitching questions( relievers)

HowAboutThat

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Two things:

1) I think I read they can back date for three days before opening day.   Don't know for sure.  If it is right then 3 +7  means optioned players can't be recalled until the 8th.  Just asking for clarity.

2) If they add Matt Harvey, LeBlanc and Greene who goes.    They are at 39 since Goudeau was waived so there is one.   Davis to the 60 day IL is two.   Who is your third?

I think Greene goes to the alternate site to start the season.

Why not dump Lakins? He’s not terrible, but he’s not good, just another bit of floating flotsam. I’d much rathe give the new guys a long look.

Alternatively, they don’t need to add Greene to the 40-man yet, so they could send him to the Alternate Site until one of the other guys implodes. I am thinking something like that happens, because I really think Mike wants to keep as many guys as possible.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes I remember that. He was around for 7 games or so, and had about 4 ABs. I wish we’d kept him, but oh well.

Why?   He went on to hit .219/.300/.319 in the PCL that season.    This in a league where the average OPS was .831.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Why?   He went on to hit .219/.300/.319 in the PCL that season.    This in a league where the average OPS was .831.    

I wish we had kept him because he was a feel-good story, and I like feel-good stories. I remember John Shepherd posting that by the time we sent him back, he had earned, I think, $27,000 and had qualified for MLB healthcare, and that’s not nothing.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Didn’t he send them out pretty early last year?

Very early. Seemed too early at the time. Like they hardly appeared in games. As if Elias saw them pitch for real for the first time on the backfields and said, "Oh no, we're not doing this!"

Bailey got 4 innings at 2.25 ERA. Rucker got 5 innings @ 0.00 ERA. 

I have no idea whether this could have been related to ST shutdown.

Edit: really low K/9 for both: Rucker 5.4; Bailey 4.5. Returned March 6 or 5?

Orioles return Bailey and Rucker to their former organizations

March 6, 2020 3:03 PM

forgive me for editing Roch's face from this post.
  • Thanks 2

Updated:

Fry hasn’t been good.

Lakins has done well enough to stay, but he’s a dime/dozen, so he may be on the bubble.

Sceroler has done arguably well enough to get a longer look, so he could stay.

Greene has been splendid.

Wells has been excellent.

Im not quite sure exactly what the “alternate site” is, but I’m assuming it’s a placeholder for AAA players until the minor league season opens( but happy to be corrected.) With that in mind:

Bearing in mind my original belief that the Orioles want to keep as many reasonable arms as possible, I think Greene and Fry go to the alternate site for now, and Wells and either Sceroler or Lakins makes it. My vote is for Sceroler.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Updated:

Fry hasn’t been good.

Lakins has done well enough to stay, but he’s a dime/dozen, so he may be on the bubble.

Sceroler has done arguably well enough to get a longer look, so he could stay.

Greene has been splendid.

Wells has been excellent.

Im not quite sure exactly what the “alternate site” is, but I’m assuming it’s a placeholder for AAA players until the minor league season opens( but happy to be corrected.) With that in mind:

Bearing in mind my original belief that the Orioles want to keep as many reasonable arms as possible, I think Greene and Fry go to the alternate site for now, and Wells and either Sceroler or Lakins makes it. My vote is for Sceroler.

Fry is the 2nd lefty in the pen.   That holds some weight in the consideration for who stays.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Fry is the 2nd lefty in the pen.   That holds some weight in the consideration for who stays.

Yes, I know, but he’s not the only available lefty. LeBlanc is LH, as is Akin, so they could satisfy the LH role and provide multi-inning flexibility as well. If either is in the rotation, the other could supplant Fry in the pen. I’ve already suggested Sulser could be optioned, so we have Scott, Valdez, Armstrong, Lopez, LeBlanc/Akin, Wells, Sceroler and Greene. Fry and Sulser go down, and Lakins gets DFa-Ed. Depending on the timing, it’s unlikely he’d be claimed, and that allows us too keep the maximum number of guys.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, I know, but he’s not the only available lefty. LeBlanc is LH, as is Akin, so they could satisfy the LH role and provide multi-inning flexibility as well. If either is in the rotation, the other could supplant Fry in the pen. I’ve already suggested Sulser could be optioned, so we have Scott, Valdez, Armstrong, Lopez, LeBlanc/Akin, Wells, Sceroler and Greene. Fry and Sulser go down, and Lakins gets DFa-Ed. Depending on the timing, it’s unlikely he’d be claimed, and that allows us too keep the maximum number of guys.

Goudeau got claimed.  There is a good chance whoever is DFA'd would get claimed.