Interesting Cuts

Bahama O's Fan

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thought he was waived?

I think DFA'd which means there is some period of time when Texas can try to trade him, then he would go through waivers.   THEN if unclaimed, he would be a free agent and you wouldn't have to assume his contract.

The only way I'm interested in Odor is as a free agent on a league minimum deal as a reclamation project if Elias and company think there is something fixable with his swing and/or approach. It's bizarre he went from being so good, so young to be being a seeming lost cause at 27, but that's the case here. Of course, if they're looking for versatility, Odor can also provide some security given what we saw in the fight with Bautista. 

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think DFA'd which means there is some period of time when Texas can try to trade him, then he would go through waivers.   THEN if unclaimed, he would be a free agent and you wouldn't have to assume his contract.

I guess I just jumped to his will be released, who in the world is going to pay that 27 mil for 2 years?

28 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I guess I just jumped to his will be released, who in the world is going to pay that 27 mil for 2 years?

Agree.   But the point is the time period hasn't elapsed so he is not yet available as a true free agent with no contractual strings attached.

From today's MLBTraderumors chat:

Odor

2:41

The Rangers' roster is very weak, so what does the fact that they DFA'd him tell us about his future?

Steve Adams

2:43

We don't need the Rangers' roster to tell us that Odor isn't good. He hasn't been good for four years. I've been amazed by seeing some fans on Twitter say they hope their team adds him as a bench bat. I saw some Dodgers fan say he'd trade Matt Beaty for Odor. Maybe some people don't realize the extent of his recent struggles?

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

The only way I'm interested in Odor is as a free agent on a league minimum deal as a reclamation project if Elias and company think there is something fixable with his swing and/or approach. It's bizarre he went from being so good, so young to be being a seeming lost cause at 27, but that's the case here. Of course, if they're looking for versatility, Odor can also provide some security given what we saw in the fight with Bautista. 

Me too. EVEN then... I'd rather have a solid defense behind our rookie pitchers. Lefty with power in OPACY is intriguing... but pass.