Interesting Cuts

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Could the O's trade Davis for Odor and pay the difference in salary.  O's don't seem to be able to cut Davis, but I doubt the Rangers would have a problem.

If they choose to start the year with both Valaika and Urias on the roster without pursuing Odor at (I'm guessing minimum), you might think they have certain feelings about Odor.

And if this season doesn't count, there is no reason for the Orioles front office to embarrass both themselves and Wade LeBlanc by cutting him for Liriano.  Won't print the tickets . And makes the organization look duplicitous to potential free agents. Senseless to reap distrust when you know you are not going to compete for a playoff spot.

Having said that, there may be room for both Francisco Liriano and Wade LeBlanc on this team.

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

That's certainly not great.  

It's weird, growing up in the 80s and 90s, hitting 30 homers a year was a THING.  I don't think a guy hitting 30 homers at his age would be as expendable then as they are now.  It's crazy how advanced metrics have made this possible.

This said, I'd still want to give him a shot.  I'm under no illusion that he'd be a great player here but I think he's probably better than any 2nd base option we currently have.  

If they can sign him to an milb and stash him at the alternative camp, do it.  Give Urias and Valaika tlil the end of May to separate themselves and try to earn the job. Give Odor a month in AAA to see if he can find his stroke.  If he makes adjustments and is peppering AAA pitchers and he seems like a better option than what Urias or Valaika are providing, pull him up in June.  If Urias or Valaika seize the job, cut him.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Odors better than what they have at 2B right now, so I'd sign him for $1 or $2M, whatever price thats realistic. Sanchez was a pitiful option in comparison, so im glad he's gone. 

FWIW, Sanchez has a better ZIPS projection than Odor. Your comment makes me think you haven't paid much attention to recent Odor performance and are fixating on the name.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

FWIW, Sanchez has a better ZIPS projection than Odor. Your comment makes me think you haven't paid much attention to recent Odor performance and are fixating on the name.

In 2019 his OPS was above .700. He's nothing special but I think the potential is there. He's still 27. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

In 2019 his OPS was above .700. He's nothing special but I think the potential is there. He's still 27. 

.700 isn't a showing for a 2B who contributes negative value with his glove, as Odor does.

2019 comparison
Odor (581 PA): -0.3 bWAR / 0.3 fWAR
Sanchez (555 PA): 1.3 bWAR /  1.0 fWAR

That's not to say Sanchez was a great player they absolutely had to keep around, but to call it a pitiful option and that we MUST make every attempt to sign Odor in his place is a bit silly, IMO.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

.700 isn't a showing for a 2B who contributes negative value with his glove, as Odor does.

2019 comparison
Odor (581 PA): -0.3 bWAR / 0.3 fWAR
Sanchez (555 PA): 1.3 bWAR /  1.0 fWAR

That's not to say Sanchez was a great player they absolutely had to keep around, but to call it a pitiful option and that we MUST make every attempt to sign Odor in his place is a bit silly, IMO.

I never wrote that, you did. But I do think Sanchez is pitiful. He's also gone, so I think Odor is an improvement. I am intrigued by Urias. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Low batting average, tons of strikeouts.  I'm not sure the over 80 crowd would be big on that.

30 homers, 93 RBIs' - all-star!  Go to your local nursing home and do a poll.  Don't mention fwar, or you better bwar..