The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

57 minutes ago, 398 to Left said:

At one point during the broadcast, the announcers made a comment that the biggest difference between the two teams was Texas terrible BP and our amazing BP. I laughed out loud but it got me thinking that if the rest of the country thinks we have a great BP, we look like bigger choke artists than we already are.

Everyone in MLB thinks our bullpen is some strength. It has been mediocre all year outside of Felix. Felix was the entire bullpen that they literally pitched him until his arm broke. Its only been recently that Wells, Hall, and Perez starting pitching well

13 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Wells or Hall should of came in after Grayson or Coulombe. USE A STOPPER!

Don't get why Coulombe, one of the O's best relievers was only used for 1 out.  When the starter exits in the 2nd inning, everyone needs to go an inning or more unless they implode like Baker.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Don't get why Coulombe, one of the O's best relievers was only used for 1 out.  When the starter exits in the 2nd inning, everyone needs to go an inning or more unless they implode like Baker.

I didn't like how he was used either day.  If you're going to use him, use him.  He's not a LOOGY.

6 hours ago, connja said:

Been saying it all year about a guy that led the team to 101 wins.  Sounds like you're an idiot.

Any manager could lead a team as talented as this one to 101 wins. Take a look at my posting history to get an idea of how poor Hyde is as a manager before calling me an idiot.

Dispute my arguments (about Hyde being a terrible manager, which I've stated multiple times with examples and analysis) with facts instead of insults. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Everyone in MLB thinks our bullpen is some strength. It has been mediocre all year outside of Felix. Felix was the entire bullpen that they literally pitched him until his arm broke. Its only been recently that Wells, Hall, and Perez starting pitching well

This is just factually not true. Everyone has had hiccups and rough patches but overall the bullpen has been a strength, with and without Felix.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I didn't like how he was used either day.  If you're going to use him, use him.  He's not a LOOGY.

Coulombe's OPS versus RHB was .618 and .586 against LHB there was no reason to waste one of the more effective relievers for only one batter. Maybe this game doesn't get completely out of control if Coulombe pitches the third inning.

And tomorrow is an off day it's not like you need Coulombe on Monday to pitch.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Brandon, like Buck in 2016, was playing for a fictional future--in this case, Game Six.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

We should be grateful that Brandon didn't fancy a Baker's Dozen (of Walks).

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Coulombe's OPS versus RHB was .618 and .586 against LHB there was no reason to waste one of the more effective relievers for only one batter. Maybe this game doesn't get completely out of control if Coulombe pitches the third inning.

And tomorrow is an off day it's not like you need Coulombe on Monday to pitch.

How times have changed in baseball: Recently watched on YouTube Moe Drabowsky's 6.2 innings one-hit, 11 Ks relief win in the first game of the '66 World Series. Bauer didn't seem to care whether Moe could be used in the next game or the one after that....

Wish Santander bunted with two on and no out in Game 1.  That is the one I wish we had back.  Just felt like the smart thing to do there.  I know he is a power hitter and all that, but you only get so many chances.  

Game 2 got away from us so quickly.  Grayson needed to pitch better, bottom line.  I don't know about bringing Baker in, I mean who is that guy anyway?

Rhe game 2 loss rests primarily at the feet of the front Office. Starting with the cheapness of John Angelos who lively restricted Mike Elias from a large poole of players due to their AAV salary. 

But it also rests on Elias and Sig for failing to get reliable bullpen arms that everybody here even knew we needed for the playoffs. Instead, when we could have gotten Jordan Montgomery we went out and go Jack Flahert who has really only been decent for just one game out of all the games he's been here.  And he's not even what we needed, which was solid relief pitchers. 

Although I wil say this about Hyde... Early in the season a number of us were criticizing him of how much he was pitching Bautista citing that the season is too long to pitching him at that frequency with sometimes even bringing him in the 8th. We were worried about an injury, and by the end of the season that's exactly what we saw. Hyde deserves criticism for that.

I think Hyde is a good manager. Let me get that out there right now. Also, I don't think he has a ton of say in his roster and I also believe he's told by the analytics guy when to PH or who to use in what situations. It's just how baseball is done now.

Removing Bradish so early in game one was a mistake in my opinion. Pitching Webb in a one-run game was a mistake. Having Baker on this roster is all was a mistake, so I can't fault him for trying to use him down 3-runs and hope to get an inning out of him. It's not his fault that the moment was too big for Baker.

Now, bringing in Webb with the bases loaded was a head scratcher. Why would he not use Wells there? I know Wells has a penchant for giving up homers, but literally Webb put the game out of reach the game before by giving up a homer. He's a waiver claim who should be in a mop up role, not pitching in one-run games. 

But it all goes back to Elias not getting an impact bullpen arm at the trade deadline. He rolled the dice that his waiver claims and rookies and 2nd year players would hold up and unfortunately, a few have not. 

Obviously losing Bautista is showing it's head by having a guy like Baker on the playoff roster and Webb pitching in key moments. 

• Upvote 2