The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Hyde should’ve brought in Tate to settle the game down after we tied it 8-8. Even if it was the 4th. Khreibel was going to have to pitch eventually, but not in a “stopper” role after our big inning. 

The Lopez trade has been affecting us the last few weeks. Our middle men got over worked. 

You don’t know that the Orioles will tie the game there. You have to get someone up before it happens. They were down 5 going into that inning. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Could it be that Hyde didn't expect to tie the game so he warmed up Reed, then got stuck with him? I wasn't watching but I would be curious to know what the score was when Reed started warming. 

Seems like the underlying problem is Hall is our long man but he is limited to two innings. I understand the limit on Hall, but then we need a true long guy now that Akin is gone. Zimmermann did 6 IP on Saturday so they probably couldn't bring him back. 

Exactly. You don’t know beforehand what is going to happen. It was the 4th inning. 

Maybe he didn’t want to burn Hall for a longer time. Sulser can give them 2/3/4 innings. 

People amuse me. What was the purpose of adding Aguilar? 

If they wanted him to rot on the bench why did they add him in the first place? He has had 42 PA’s. The right side of the lineup except for Mateo in August struggled. Adley and Mullins haven’t hit LHP all year. Last night an inning after Santander went over the monster they hit Aguilar. It’s Fenway Park. Elias made the decision to add him. If he didn’t want him to play at all then why not keep Nevin? Heck some people thought it was to push Mountcastle. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

People amuse me. What was the purpose of adding Aguilar? 

If they wanted him to rot on the bench why did they add him in the first place? He has had 42 PA’s. The right side of the lineup except for Mateo in August struggled. Adley and Mullins haven’t hit LHP all year. Last night an inning after Santander went over the monster they hit Aguilar. It’s Fenway Park. Elias made the decision to add him. If he didn’t want him to play at all then why not keep Nevin? Heck some people thought it was to push Mountcastle. 

You have to have a certain number of players on the ML roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like the underlying problem is Hall is our long man but he is limited to two innings. I understand the limit on Hall, but then we need a true long guy now that Akin is gone. Zimmermann did 6 IP on Saturday so they probably couldn't bring him back. 

Why is Hall limited to 2 innings? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If Hall goes 4 how many days is he done for? 

I'm not sure and I think 4 innings might have been a bit aggressive for him.  But say he goes 3?  Hyde still doesn't use as many arm barn guys as he did last night.  

Good news, I guess, is that I think the Sox bullpen is already depleted, too.  If we can knock Dick Mountain out of the game early tonight, that sets us up well for tomorrow's finale.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure and I think 4 innings might have been a bit aggressive for him.  But say he goes 3?  Hyde still doesn't use as many arm barn guys as he did last night.  

Good news, I guess, is that I think the Sox bullpen is already depleted, too.  If we can knock Dick Mountain out of the game early tonight, that sets us up well for tomorrow's finale.

Sure. It’s not crazy to think he could have gone 3. I’m just playing the other side of the coin. 

Last week after Friday the pen was in great shape. They were used hard Sat/Sun. Your two long men were burned Monday. If Bradish goes 5 innings last night and heck let’s up 5 runs we aren’t having this conversation. It’s not easy to deal with back to back nights of 2 IP starts coming off 2 taxing days for the pen. Felix had fatigue earlier in month and was pushed hard Saturday. 

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Why is Hall limited to 2 innings? 

This is just my assumption, but he was shut down as a starter, speculation is they are limiting his innings overall, and the most he had pitched previously since going to the bullpen was 1.1. Anything more than 2 IP would have been a surprise to me. 

Baumann went 4, Saturday. Pen went 5. 
Voth went 5 Sunday. Pen went 6. 
Lyles 2. Pen 7. 
Bradish 2. Pen 6. 

13 IP from SP, 24 IP from pen. 

Last Wed-Fri 

26.2 IP SP, 0.1 IP pen. 

Some of this is the nature of baseball, some is bad luck. As bad as Lyles was Monday maybe he goes 4 IP.  Some is underperformance, Bradish and Krehbiel. 

You went from great shape to terrible in the blink of an eye. 

• Upvote 2

Will be interesting to see how Kremer fares tonight. We need a LONG outing from him.

And if Urias is done for the season (and to the poster above I forgot Westburg is not on the 40 so no he's not an option) who do they bring up? Unfortunately it'll likely be Nevin and it means Odor continues to play. Hopefully Vavra is on the mend and can play 2nd.

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

Will be interesting to see how Kremer fares tonight. We need a LONG outing from him.

And if Urias is done for the season (and to the poster above I forgot Westburg is not on the 40 so no he's not an option) who do they bring up? Unfortunately it'll likely be Nevin and it means Odor continues to play. Hopefully Vavra is on the mend and can play 2nd.

I missed the game. What happened to Urias?