The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, HandsomeQuack said:

He got ahead 0-2 and then should have IBB'd him? Or they should have thrown up the four fingers before throwing a pitch? Or they should have just pitched around him from the start of the AB and not tried to get ahead at all? Please share which of these you mean.

If Felix threw a fastball and Judge hit it out, it would be "how did they throw him a third fastball, he just got two looks at it!" Second guessing the split there is just revisionist. That's his out pitch and he very rarely gets hurt throwing it. As for everyone "knowing it was coming," Bautista only regularly throws two pitches -- it could be me as the hitter and I would have a fair enough chance at guessing what is coming. He (and almost every other late-inning reliever) has his share of successes and failures despite that.

And I don't care if the hitter was Barry Bonds -- you don't want to put the tying run on base and bring the GW run to the plate. You want to get Judge out. Besides, Felix strikes a lot of guys out and it's not like Judge is Wade Boggs when it comes to making contact.

This is exactly right and I would add only that Gleyber squared up a fastball that nearly tied the game in the previous AB. Pumping FBs is no guarantee, it just looks better in hindsight because Felix threw a terrible splitter. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This is exactly right and I would add only that Gleyber squared up a fastball that nearly tied the game in the previous AB. Pumping FBs is no guarantee, it just looks better in hindsight because Felix threw a terrible splitter. 

NO pitch is gonna have a lot of success in the location that splitter ended up. But if you throw a fastball up in / above the zone and he hits a 100mph four seamer out, then you tip your cap and say, “you sir are a beast.”

That crappy splitter, that’s just a meatball for most major leaguers.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Why did Hyde let McCann hit as the potential tying run with two outs in the ninth? McCann can’t hit and even if it means losing the DH Adley can play catcher.

Was Santander not available today? I assumed it was a rest day for him. 

I gave a response to this near the end of the game thread.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was brought up in the game, but this win shouldn’t have been that difficult. I’m glad the Orioles won, but why didn’t Hyde bring in Akin a long reliever to try and let him hold the lead? 

Hyde instead burns through the bullpen with a 3:05 PM bullpen game tomorrow. 

Akin may have blown the lead quite honestly. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m not discounting that, but with a bullpen game tomorrow that move should have been tried first. 

I think you answered your own question.  Akin might be needed for long man tomorrow.  Akin also went 1 inning Saturday and 1 Monday.  I doubt he can give you more then 1 tonight.  

41 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was brought up in the game, but this win shouldn’t have been that difficult. I’m glad the Orioles won, but why didn’t Hyde bring in Akin a long reliever to try and let him hold the lead? 

Hyde instead burns through the bullpen with a 3:05 PM bullpen game tomorrow. 

He may have used Akin if Baker had done his job. Baker is a logical guy for Straw and Zunino, both RHB's. If Baker gets through the 7th as he is supposed to there is no need for Cano-Bautista. I don't see how that is on Hyde. 

7 hours ago, ace20251 said:

why not pinch hit for gunnar with bases loaded and no outs? put a right hand bat in there,he was the DH tonight. he hit right into the worst kind of double play,not confidence building.

I actually liked the move to let Gunnar hit there.  We've mentioned how bad he is against LHP and how Hyde needs to pick his spots with him.  Well there you have it, late in a game where we have a lead with Cano and Bautista coming up.  

And I know people will criticize Gunnar there, but he hit the ball hard, just right at a drawn-in infielder.  No problems at all with that at bat.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I actually liked the move to let Gunnar hit there.  We've mentioned how bad he is against LHP and how Hyde needs to pick his spots with him.  Well there you have it, late in a game where we have a lead with Cano and Bautista coming up.  

And I know people will criticize Gunnar there, but he hit the ball hard, just right at a drawn-in infielder.  No problems at all with that at bat.  

Agreed.  We had a 3-run lead and Gunnar already had two hard-hit RBI knocks in the game.  Let him go for it there.  

8 hours ago, ace20251 said:

why not pinch hit for gunnar with bases loaded and no outs? put a right hand bat in there,he was the DH tonight. he hit right into the worst kind of double play,not confidence building.

Gunnar put the ball in play with hard contact......that's what you're looking for there.  We've been somewhat inept as a team doing that at times this year.

What you're not looking for is a ball right at someone, but it happens.  I was fine with the decision to let him hit, and fine with how Gunnar hit it.  Too bad it didn't find a hole, but a pretty good swing off a lefty pitcher.