The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

If I were to have a complaint about how Hyde (and basically every manager does this) is a slave to matchups. He sees lefty vs lefty and often goes with a pinch hitter or something like that even if the numbers say not to do that. 

I would like for him to pay more attention to the idea that someone like say, Kjerstad, tore up lefties in the minors and not be such a slave to the lefty/lefty issue.

But again, every manager does stuff like that, which is annoying and why there is such little difference between in game managerial decision making.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If I were to have a complaint about how Hyde (and basically every manager does this) is a slave to matchups. He sees lefty vs lefty and often goes with a pinch hitter or something like that even if the numbers say not to do that. 

I would like for him to pay more attention to the idea that someone like say, Kjerstad, tore up lefties in the minors and not be such a slave to the lefty/lefty issue.

But again, every manager does stuff like that, which is annoying and why there is such little difference between in game managerial decision making.

I do think Hyde can be a little rigid that way.  On the other hand, there’s a big difference between hitting AA/AAA lefties and hitting major league lefties, especially the ones who basically make their livings getting left handed hitters out.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I do think Hyde can be a little rigid that way.  On the other hand, there’s a big difference between hitting AA/AAA lefties and hitting major league lefties, especially the ones who basically make their livings getting left handed hitters out.  

Sure but success is success and approach is approach and if you don’t give them a chance, they can’t show what they can do.

He kept giving Henderson a chance and said, he just hasn’t seen many lefties, so he will get better. He gave him the benefit of the doubt despite the numbers saying otherwise. He should be doing the same with others until proven differently.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure but success is success and approach is approach and if you don’t give them a chance, they can’t show what they can do.

He kept giving Henderson a chance and said, he just hasn’t seen many lefties, so he will get better. He gave him the benefit of the doubt despite the numbers saying otherwise. He should be doing the same with others until proven differently.

Even with Henderson, he’s sat 25% of the time vs. LH starters and only 3% of the time vs. RH starters.   Granted, if I looked at July - Sept., I doubt Gunnar has sat sat against many lefties.   

Anyway, like I said, I agree Hyde has been a little inflexible.   On the other hand, he has a roster that is well designed to allow him to take advantage of platooning.  Sometimes it’s not about the limitations of the guy who’s sitting, but the strengths of the guy who’s playing.  FWIW, the O’s have a 103 sOPS+ (split relative to the league average) vs. RHP, and 107 OPS+ vs. LHP.   So I may not agree with every decision Hyde makes on this front, but it generally has worked.  

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Infield in with a 2 run lead in the 6th?

I did not like that call either. It was also quite early in the game where the last thing you want to do is give them a big inning, which is what happened. I get it if you are down 1 or 2 and you really don't want to let in an additional run but the risk/reward doesn't seem worth it when you have the lead, much less up two.

44 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep, I don't think the stats would support this, especially considering the present state of the O's bullpen

And didn't they initially play the infield back and then moved it up when the count got to two strikes in the sixth? That was a weird decision and I think the damage would have been more limited without making that decision.

In general Hyde has clearly done well. Managers make many decisions that look good when they pan out and of course look poor when they don’t. 

He has really done a nice job keeping these guys on an even keel. Of course most managers look good when their teams plate on a 100 win pace. 

I always thought he would be here until they were competitive and then someone else would be brought in. But I am happy with him and the job he has done. No manager is right all the time. 

There are many things we have questioned from Frazier to Ohearn to Mateo. All in all, his way has been the right way. The new Oriole Way. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep, I don't think the stats would support this, especially considering the present state of the O's bullpen

I think the current state of the bullpen is exactly why he would do it.   He didn’t want to concede a run which would have cut the lead to one.  Convention says you concede the run to try and avoid the big inning.  He went against convention because he wanted as big a lead as possible for his bullpen.  He gambled and lost.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the current state of the bullpen is exactly why he would do it.   He didn’t want to concede a run which would have cut the lead to one.  Convention says you concede the run to try and avoid the big inning.  He went against convention because he wanted as big a lead as possible for his bullpen.  He gambled and lost.

I'm hoping there is budget to add a bullpen arm or two via free agency or trade for next season. No one wants Bautista to miss next season, but odd are he's missing significant time at a minimum.

This will be a good test for JA's willingness to add payroll, but we'll end up hearing him whine about revenue streams.