Orioles defense so far by Statcast

Tony-OH

14 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

The two guys doing the "catching" on the roster can't catch! Ready or not, bring up Adley. We KNOW that he's ready from a defense perspective.

How exactly do we know that?   I’ve heard some pundits opine that he’s very good defensively.   But I don’t think we really know anything.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How exactly do we know that?   I’ve heard some pundits opine that he’s very good defensively.   But I don’t think we really know anything.  

Some?

I have yet to see someone in the business be anything less than gushing when talking about his defense.

True I personally haven't looked at game film from his time playing for a highly ranked team in a major conference but I'm guessing there is a ton of it out there.

I hate, just hate, this idea that what a player does in college isn't useful in projecting what they will do in the pros.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some?

I have yet to see someone in the business be anything less than gushing when talking about his defense.

True I personally haven't looked at game film from his time playing for a highly ranked team in a major conference but I'm guessing there is a ton of it out there.

I hate, just hate, this idea that what a player does in college isn't useful in projecting what they will do in the pros.

Who said it doesn’t?   But for example, Grenier was PAC-12 defensive player of the year, and I’ve heard people say that Hall (who is several years younger) is the better defensive SS.   Not a unanimous opinion on that, but I’ve heard it from more than one knowledgeable observer.   And it’s not because Hall is amazing, it’s that Grenier isn’t anything special for a pro, as it turns out.

Logically, it seems to me that defense should transfer from level to level without much change, compared to hitting or pitching where the quality of the opposition makes things harder as you go up the ladder.  But it doesn’t seem to always work that way, for whatever reason.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who said it doesn’t?   But for example, Grenier was PAC-12 defensive player of the year, and I’ve heard people say that Hall (who is several years younger) is the better defensive SS.   Not a unanimous opinion on that, but I’ve heard it from more than one knowledgeable observer.   And it’s not because Hall is amazing, it’s that Grenier isn’t anything special for a pro, as it turns out.

Logically, it seems to me that defense should transfer from level to level without much change, compared to hitting or pitching where the quality of the opposition makes things harder as you go up the ladder.  But it doesn’t seem to always work that way, for whatever reason.  

I recall at least some doubts about Grenier being a future plus defender at short even when he was drafted.  I've seen nothing of the sort about Adley's future as a plus defender at catcher.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I recall at least some doubts about Grenier being a future plus defender at short even when he was drafted.  I've seen nothing of the sort about Adley's future as a plus defender at catcher.

Is he even the best defensive catcher we drafted in 2019?   He and Maverick Handley were co-defensive players of the year in the PAC-12 that year.  (Full disclosure: Rutschman won the Div. I Gold Glove.)

Look, I’m highly confident based on what I’ve read that Rutschman will eventually be an above average pro defender.   Do I know that he’s ready to be that now?   No.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Comments like this are useless. And dishonest. Mountcastle Has a wonderful prospect pedigree, but he has little defensive value( his FB fielding value is 30 which has so far proven to be the case) and only has 209 ABs and hasn’t yet shown what he can do. If you think he can be traded at this moment for a meaningful return, then ok.

Would you care to go back and read most of the comments you make on a routine basis? I would imagine there are 29 other teams that would love to trade for Mountcastle. 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Have we? Higher amount of road games than home games. Red Sox have been one of the hottest teams in baseball. Maybe they're worse than their record indicates, but the Yanks are certainly better than theirs does.

I think so.   I believe BOS/SEA/TEX/MIA bottom half teams and that's 5/6 series.    Now other then the one Red Sox series (also regressing to mean), its all OAK/NYY/NYM/TB for a month, and the Seattle trip where geography gets an assist.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some?

Unless something goes wrong I expect Adley to go down as the best catcher in Orioles history. The praise from baseball experts is nothing but glowing remarks on AR. I'm trying to temper my expectations after seeing Wieters end up being a good, but not great catcher. 

MLB analyst says Adley Rutschman is a better prospect than Machado

“Who was the last Orioles prospect as good as Adley Rutschman? Probably [Manny] Machado,” MLB Pipeline's Jim Callis told MASN an interview this week. “I mean same stage of their careers, if you were just grading out tools, I’d argue that Adley is probably a better prospect than Machado. They're very comparable, but Adley is probably a better prospect because he’s a catcher. You just don’t find catchers that can do what Adley Rutschman can do."

"No knock on Wieters, but I think Adley Rutschman is a better defensive player and a better hitter than Matt Wieters,” Callis told MASN. “I think the power and arm strength is similar. But as good as Matt Wieters has been, Adley Rutschman is better."

Wieters wasn't the only catcher against whom Rutschman compares favorably.

“He’s got the best catching tools that I’ve seen in a prospect in 30 years of covering this stuff," Callis said. "He has better all-around tools than Joe Mauer, who is more athletic, but didn’t have anywhere close to Rutschman’s power coming out of the draft. And he had more impact with his bat and he’s more polished defensively than Buster Posey was.”

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless something goes wrong I expect Adley to go down as the best catcher in Orioles history. The praise from baseball experts is nothing but glowing remarks on AR. I'm trying to temper my expectations after seeing Wieters end up being a good, but not great catcher. 

MLB analyst says Adley Rutschman is a better prospect than Machado

I hate that line about Machado.

Entering his age 23 season he had already had two top 10 MVP finishes and a seven win season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hate that line about Machado.

Entering his age 23 season he had already had two top 10 MVP finishes and a seven win season.

Barry Bonds never got an MVP vote or made an all-star team until he was 25.   

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would almost never make a projection like that, that a guy who hasn't played a MLB inning is going to be better than an established star.  There have probably been 1000 guys with Mickey Mantle talent and prospect status and about five of them have become Mickey Mantle.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would almost never make a projection like that, that a guy who hasn't played a MLB inning is going to be better than an established star.  There have probably been 1000 guys with Mickey Mantle talent and prospect status and about five of them have become Mickey Mantle.

I don’t think this is exactly what Callis is saying.    He’s saying Rutschman has better tools and potential as a prospect than Machado did when he was a prospect.   That’s not to say he’ll turn out to be the better player.

Suffice it to say that if Rutschman turns out to be approximately the same level of player as Machado, I will be very, very pleased.