Ryan Mountcastle no longer a prospect

wildcard

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m more worried about Mountcastle breaking out of his slump than I am about whether he appears on a prospect list.   This is not the start of his season I was hoping for.   

The lists are something I look at before and after the season, but what they say on a particular day in late April doesn’t mean a lot to me.   

Like everyone else, I’m chomping at the bit for MiL baseball to start so that we actually have something tangible on which to evaluate our prospects.  

His ABs are good. He's still laying off bad pitches for the most part. He'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

His ABs are good. He's still laying off bad pitches for the most part. He'll be fine.

Mmmm, I don’t know about him laying off bad pitches.   Of 174 qualifiers, he ranks 11% highest in percentage of swings at pitches outside the strike zone, at 42.3%.   Of course, that’s about where he was last year, with better results.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Mmmm, I don’t know about him laying off bad pitches.   Of 174 qualifiers, he ranks 11% highest in percentage of swings at pitches outside the strike zone, at 42.3%.   Of course, that’s about where he was last year, with better results.  

Well if you want to quantify it and all.....

?

Seemed to my eye but obviously not true.

This adjustment period is why I think next month Elias will have to show some of his cards how he assesses the 2022 team.   I get hiding the pitchers; game theory wise I can accept the idea Rafael Devers never gets to see some of our very best young pitchers in real life until next year (April, please).    

Hitting its just the other way around.

Player wise on the whole, I feel like Mountcastle's range of outcomes is actually low variance.   He was a bat first prep and he has hit for years and years and years.    Sure, MLB pitchers are handing him his hat, but that's what 2021 is for.   

I think our Adley over/under is circa August 1, but haven't given up on the possibility that a few hot weeks has him here Memorial Day.   That is the A1 Leading Indicator to me if Elias believes next year's team can compete for one of the (5/6/7/8 ??) tournament slots.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I feel like he's hitting the ball hard, no? I'm giving him another month, but yeah it's been rough. 

His EV has been better than last year and XWOBACON is better than last year too, so he's been pretty unlucky overall. Like I said, I believe in the bat and he'll come around, but if he's still struggling he might need a mental break if it's still happening by early May when the AAA starts up.

I’m not trying to harp on defense, but I wonder, if they said, “you’re a DH going forward and that’s that,” would that discourage him, or would it allow him to focus just on hitting? What if they said,” you’re a left fielder no matter what. Go out there and take your lumps,”?
I know nothing about his mental make up, but During spring training he made some comments about working on defense. he’s a smart enough guy to know his problems, So I wonder if he’s over focusing on them?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Struck out on a pitch in the LH batters box tonight.   

And nearly homered on the 1st.

He might be pressing.

As awful as his results have been in his first 73 PAs of this season, I worry less about him than any other offensive player on the team. He's going to hit in the majors

6 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

And nearly homered on the 1st.

He might be pressing.

As awful as his results have been in his first 73 PAs of this season, I worry less about him than any other offensive player on the team. He's going to hit in the majors

I have confidence in him too.   Once he gets hot, he will make up ground quickly.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have confidence in him too.   Once he gets hot, he will make up ground quickly.   

I just hope he doesn’t alter his process too much due to the results thus far. As has been mentioned, he seems to be crushing the ball at times - unfortunately right into a glove. 

54 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I just hope he doesn’t alter his process too much due to the results thus far. As has been mentioned, he seems to be crushing the ball at times - unfortunately right into a glove. 

Well, I do not want him swinging at 42% of pitches outside the strike zone.   He’s always going to be more aggressive than most hitters, but 42% is way out there.  He’s out beyond Adam Jones (41.5%) and Jonathan Schoop (41.3%}.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, I do not want him swinging at 42% of pitches outside the strike zone.   He’s always going to be more aggressive than most hitters, but 42% is way out there.  He’s out beyond Adam Jones (41.5%) and Jonathan Schoop (41.3%}.

Fair. What are the samples on those numbers (career? Indiv seasons?)