How far are the O's away from being a winning team?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini seems like a great guy and can hit a bit but I have no interest in extending him. At the end of the day he is a RH 1B/DH and not even a great one at that. I'm fine rolling with DJ and whoever we have backing up OF/1B. Save the money for the premium positions. 

You would rather have DJ than Mancini.  Wow.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No..he would rather have money, what you get in trade and a Stewart and whoever platoon than Mancini.

Well that is his choice.  I would rather pay Mancini and contend sooner.  The different between Mancini and Stewart's offense should be measured in light years.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I would rather have DJ, the money saved , plus a prospect or two, absolutely. Nothing against Mancini, I just don't see the need to spend any kind of money on a RH 1B/DH.

Well push back O's contention by a year or two.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are much younger, smarter but rarely relevant according to your wife.

Well, I don’t know how much younger I am but my dad is still around at 93 so I’m hoping I’ve got another 30 years or so.   30 years ago, the top salary in baseball was $3.8 mm/yr.   Now it’s roughly 10 times that.    So heck, $3 bb isn’t out of the question 30 years from now.    Probably for some pitcher in the Interstellar League.   

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well that is his choice.  I would rather pay Mancini and contend sooner.  The different between Mancini and Stewart's offense should be measured in light years.

You don’t need Mancini to contend.  

For me, it depends on what he gets in trade.  I’m not worried about replacing a 2-3 WAR player 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Light years is an overstatement. No doubt Mancini is overall a better and more accomplished hitter but he has a poor walk rate and his power does not blow you away by any means. Their minors OPS was a difference of like 30 points.

You may have two young top of the rotation starter that throw 98-100 in the rotation next year †o go with Means.  You need an offense to go with †hem.   Mancini is a key player along with Mullins, Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle.  Hopefully Adley is ready.    Its Elias job to acquire or develop 2B/SS/3B in the next year.   If he does we have go† a contender.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You may have two young top of the rotation starter that throw 98-100 in the rotation next year †o go with Means.  You need an offense to go with †hem.   Mancini is a key player along with Mullins, Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle.  Hopefully Adley is ready.    Its Elias job to acquire or develop 2B/SS/3B in the next year.   If he does we have go† a contender.

What makes you think that a pitcher in AA and one in high A will both be in our rotation next year?   I realize both are highly regarded and off to good starts, but I’d peg that prospect as quite unlikely.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Means.

Heck I'm super in favor of long term deals with young players.

I'd sign Gunnar to a 10 year deal and go old school and bring him up to learn in the majors.

I think honestly, that depending on who else shows signs of being ready by the end of this season that signing someone longterm is more likely.  Id be on  board with a Means extension....he is looking awfully good.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley.  Means if you don’t want to trade him.  

Adley, may well be worth it I like how they are looking at him as a 1b as well, but it would definitely be a risk since he has yet to see the show.  But again, I think at the earliest, this off season is when there will be a real opportunity for Elias to evaluate what he has and what the timelines are...I think teams like Baltimore that have so much of their future in the minors really lost the entire year last year...not just in experience but evaluation.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Even though the Padres signed Manny a year before they were really ready to compete, they had a spectacular farm system with a bunch of high ceiling guys very close to the majors.   Our farm system is much improved but not at that level, so I tend to doubt the O’s will make that type of investment this offseason.    But, maybe things will look different at year end.   

If the FO thinks they are 2-4 years out that would dictate extensions, imo.  I think that's their signal in providing an answer to this thread's OP.  The most likely candidate to extend under the Padres' model is Means...  If they extend him for 4-6 years, this season or next, that's signalling we're going to run.  But he might very well be a bridge/ trade candidate when we're really in again.   Who knows.

We ain't there yet.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva