How far are the O's away from being a winning team?

wildcard

On 5/15/2021 at 3:58 PM, Aristotelian said:

Mancini's career RBI totals are 78, 58, 97. HR totals are 24, 24, 35. So it is not like he is a consistent 30/100 guy either. 

Mancini has it 1 HR per 4.47 PA's vs Stewart 1 HR per 4.04 PA's. Their differential between slugging and BA is about the same. I would not say Mancini has more power. 

It's hard to project DJ based on such a small sample but I think it is at least plausible to think he might replace 80-90% of Mancini's production at a fraction of the cost, even if he hits .230, because his OBP is so good. I also like that DJ is younger, left handed, and can play some OF. One of the things I learned from the Buck-Dan years is that too many DH types (particularly RH) are such a bottleneck for roster construction it's not worth it to get a few more points of OPS+. Ironically, one of the reasons we haven't seen much of DJ is we have always had too many DH types blocking him.

Where did you get those homer per plate appearance numbers?

I like DJ and think he can be a better hitter than what he has shown, but he’s not much younger and I would without a doubt say Mancini has more power.

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Where did you get those homer per plate appearance numbers?

I like DJ and think he can be a better hitter than what he has shown, but he’s not much younger and I would without a doubt say Mancini has more power.

Lol, I just did those numbers myself and just realized I had HR/PA backwards. If we had two guys hitting HR every 4 PAs that would be epic. Actually it's 25.3 for DJ and 22.0 for Mancini. 

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cards dealt for Goldschmidt a few years back.  

Carson Kelly, Luke Weaver, Andrew Young.

For the first two years after the deal, Arizona got 1.4 WAR out of the deal.   SL got 2.7 just the first year alone out of Goldschmidt.

This year it is starting to pay off some as Kelly is having a fantstic season, at age 26.  But the WAR still tilts in SL's favor.

I doubt Mancini brings as much as Goldschmidt.   He certainly hasn't had the career to date that Goldschmidt had at the time of the deal.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

For the first two years after the deal, Arizona got 1.4 WAR out of the deal.   SL got 2.7 just the first year alone out of Goldschmidt.

This year it is starting to pay off some as Kelly is having a fantstic season, at age 26.  But the WAR still tilts in SL's favor.

I doubt Mancini brings as much as Goldschmidt.   He certainly hasn't had the career to date that Goldschmidt had at the time of the deal.

Don't forget the value of that sweet, sweet salary relief.  That's money that the owner can pocket...wait I mean, can be invested back in the team at some nebulous point in the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

I thought we were going to be better. Looking like the same Ole O’s. 

Elias told us that we were still in the accumulating asset stage.

Other than being optimistic by nature I'm not sure why anyone would expect an improved product this season.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias told us that we were still in the accumulating asset stage.

Other than being optimistic by nature I'm not sure why anyone would expect an improved product this season.

I just didn’t think we would be 25 plus games out when all said and done. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

They also got a comp pick I believe.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

The most disappointing part so far is not seeing any building blocks for the switch flipping days. 

I hope this is a joke.  It would be a  shame to think you can't see the talent that is playing now.  There are too many holes to be a winner at this point but that does not diminish some of the talented players on the team.  Add Adley, Grayson, DL and maybe Vavra,  Bradish and Dorrian this off season and the switch will be flipped.