2021 Delmarva Shorebirds Roster activity

Tony-OH

Pitchers: Ryan Conroy, Shane Davis, Noah Denoyer, Jensen Elliott, Ignacio Feliz, Thomas Girard, Jack Lyons, Kyle Martin, Griffin McLarty, Xavier Moore, Zachary Peek, Shelton Perkins, Jack Prizina, Leonardo Rodriguez, Houston Roth, Adam Stauffer, Ryan Watson, Brandon Young

Catchers: Jordan Cannon, Ramon Rodriguez

Infielders: Gunnar Henderson, Darell Hernaiz, J.D. Mundy, Anthony Servideo, Jordan Westburg

Outfielders: Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Dylan Harris, Hudson Haskin, Trevor Kehe, Doran Turchin

• Thanks 2

JD Mundy was a sign after the 2020 season and draft.

https://radfordathletics.com/sports/baseball/roster/j-d--mundy/6543

AS A SENIOR (2020)
VaSID First Team All-State selection ... Was named the Big South Preseason Player of the Year ... Started all 17 games, playing nine at first base and eight as the designated hitter ... Batted .385 with six doubles, four homers and 19 RBI's ...Tied for the lead on the team in doubles, while leading the team in homers and RBI's ... Led the Big South in home runs and RBIs, also led the league with a .662 slugging percentage ... Was ranked 31st in NCAA in toughest to strike out with the second-best batting average in the Big South, behind only teammate Colby Higgerson ... Homered in three of the final five games of the season ... Had a team-high nine multi-hit games, including a season-best three hits in the series finale against Canisius (Mar. ? ... Had a five-game hit streak and a 13-game on-base streak to close the season ... Went 3-for-3 with two walks, a grand slam and four RBI's in the series finale against Canisius (Mar. ? ... Went 2-for-4 with a double, a homer and three RBI's in the series opener against the Golden Griffins (Mar. 6) ... Hit for the home run cycle (solo at Mercer - Feb. 23, two-run vs. Notre Dame - Mar. 11, three-run vs. Canisius - Mar. 6, grand slam vs Canisius - Mar. ?

Thoughts:

Cody Mayo did not make a full season club. Not a big surprise since he was so young and there wasn't really any playing time for him on this team with Henderson and Westburg. Zebron, Llaras and Sparks also did not make a full season club. Jean Carlos Encarancio was moved to the outfield.

Primary Plays:
C - Cannon
1B: Mundy
2B: Servedio and Hernaiz will see some time here. 
SS: Westburg should be the main starter but Servideo and Hernaiz and Henderson could all see time here.
3B: Henderson will mostly play here though I expect Westburg to get some time here as well.

LF: Rotation
CF: Haskins
RF: Encarnacion

• Thanks 2

Recognizing that the O’s are planning to do a lot of piggybacking this year, what’s the best guess as to the starting five?  I’d think it’s Stauffer, McLarty, Peek, Rodriguez and Conroy.   Stauffer and Conroy both got promoted from Aberdeen to Delmarva during the 2019 season. Rodriguez was a starter for Aberdeen.   McLarty was a reliever at Aberdeen but I think that’s because he had a heavy workload in the college season.    Peek was acquired in the Bundy trade and hasn’t pitched as a pro yet after being drafted in the 6th round in 2019 by the Angels.   

I think both Roth and Lyons will be piggyback guys; they alternated with each other in that role in 2019.   

Honestly I don’t know much about the rest of these guys.   Prizina and Elliott both started 5+ games in the GCL, so maybe they are piggybackers too.   

• Like 1

Last year the O’s signed signed eight undrafted free agents.   Six of them made the Shorebirds’ roster!

That’s pretty impressive.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So they have already determined that Gunnar needs to move from SS?

I think piling all of these guys on one team was/is a bad idea.  

Gunnar easily could be in Aberdeen...or one of the college kids they drafted.  

Looking at Gunnar's body already, it makes sense to move him to 3B. He's going to be too big for SS. His face is pretty thick which suggests he's really going to add weight.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Looking at Gunnar's body already, it makes sense to move him to 3B. He's going to be too big for SS. His face is pretty thick which suggests he's really going to add weight.

All of that may true but I would like to see him show that first.

But still, even with that, I would like to see guys like Westburg and Servideo playing SS everyday for now. 

Just don’t like piling all of these guys onto one team.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All of that may true but I would like to see him show that first.

But still, even with that, I would like to see guys like Westburg and Servideo playing SS everyday for now. 

Just don’t like piling all of these guys onto one team.

Well, I think they may all see time at SS. Ortiz needs some SS time as well and I think they think he's more ready for Aberdeen. One of the thing of drafting SS is finding other places to play while also giving them SS time. I heard Westburg and or Servideo could get some outfield time as well.