May 5: afternoon rubber match in Seattle with Means on the mound

SteveA

I live in the A's/Giants markets for baseball.  The A's announcers could not stop talking about Means, Mullins, and Hays.  They were very impressed with all three.  The other thing they could not stop talking about was the horrible ball/strike umpiring.  They were especially vocal when the O's pitchers were pinched - it was obvious even to the opposing teams' play-by-play crew.  The one guy asked "why would an umpire have a small strike zone?  What benefit does it have to him?  This was when O's pitchers were clearly hitting the corners of the plate and they kept getting called balls.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We can debate this later.   Shouldn't talk about it now.   Shouldn't even type the words.

There is no scientific correlation between talking about a no-hitter and whether it occurs or not.  Trust the metrics. 

Edited by Dreadnought

Just now, glenn__davis said:

If he gives up a hit it's not going to be because some schlub posted on a message board. I'm just curious what the ruling is. 

It was a wild pitch on a swinging strike three. I didn't see the play, but I'm curious if it was a legit wild pitch and not just Severino allowing another passed ball. 

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Mlb.com has this listed as a perfect game. That wouldn't be correct would it, since a baserunner reached?

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game